Staff Software Engineer, Ads Events Platform
Remote job description
Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there's a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
We're evolving and continuing our mission to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Providing a delightful and relevant experience to our users applies to our Ads like all of our offerings, and we're excited to build a product that is best-in-class for our users and advertisers. The year ahead is a busy one! This is a general post for multiple teams. If any of these points resonate, don't hesitate to apply and learn more about what we're working on.
As a Software Engineer focussed on building data infrastructure, you will build and maintain the data infrastructure tools used by the entire Reddit Ads Org to generate, ingest, and access petabytes of raw data, with a focus on performance and optimization. You will write scalable / fault tolerant code while collaborating with a team of top engineers, all while learning about and contributing to one of the most powerful streaming event pipelines in the world. You will also develop standards, and frameworks to ensure a high level of data quality to help shape the future of the data platform at Reddit Ads.
Not only will your work directly impact hundreds of millions of users around the world, but your output will also shape the data culture across all of Reddit!
This is a staff level backend position within the Ads Organization. Ads is the fuel that powers Reddit's mission.
Technologies used on the team include:
- Languages: Scala, Go, Python, Java
- Frameworks: Spark, Thrift, Baseplate, Kafka, Flink, Thrift, Airflow
- Datastores: Postgres, Cassandra, Druid, Redis, BigQuery
- Tools: Kubernetes, Argo, Docker
Staff level engineers are expected to be leaders on their team and in their organization. Engineers at this level must be able to take ambiguous problems, design a solution, then lead other engineers in implementing that solution. These engineers must also be able to identify problems in their team independently, not just be assigned work to complete. Excellent skills in designing maintainable, scalable distributed systems are a must. Finally, mentorship is a requirement for engineers at this level. These engineers should make the people around them better.
Coding is still a critical part of the job for senior-to-staff engineers.
We are a remote-first team with positions available anywhere in the United States and Canada.
- Build data pipelines with distributed streaming tools such as Kafka, Kinesis, Flink, or Spark
- Build and maintain real time analytics database systems, via a hybrid design, using tools such as druid/pinot.
- Refine and maintain our data infrastructure technologies to support real-time analysis of hundreds of millions of users.
- Own the data pipeline that surfaces 65B+ daily events to all teams, and the tools we use ingestion, storage and to improve data quality.
- Design and implement tooling for access management, monitoring, data controls, and self-service ETL creation
- Own data quality for crucial systems at Reddit. Define and manage SLAs for datasets that support production services, including an on-call rotation for Data Warehouse tools
- Infrastructure that supports all of the above
- Successful track record of building data infrastructure to process/store data at petabyte scale
- Deep Experience developing, maintaining and debugging distributed systems built with open source tools
- Experience designing and implementing real time analytics database systems, using tools such as druid/pinot/redis
- Experience optimizing the end to end performance of data infrastructure (database tuning for query performance, build tooling to make database management easier)
- Experience managing and designing complex real time and batch data pipelines
- Experience designing and implement tooling for access management, monitoring, data controls, and self-service ETL creation
- Experience with at least one of these - Java, Golang, Scala and Python. Experience with (or desire to learn) Kubernetes.
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation (please use them!) & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
The base pay range for this position is: $198,200 - $297,300.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.
Company name: reddit
Remote job title: Staff Software Engineer, Ads Events Platform
Job tags: Data Engineering, Access Management, Scala
location or timezone
yearly salary range$198,200 - 297,300
posted73 days ago