Communication has changed for people. It's changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity?
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join the team that builds and maintains Intercom's flagship Messenger product. The Messenger operates at high-scale, and demands a very high product quality bar.
As a Staff Engineer, you will be a leader within the team and a strong contributor to the engineering organization. Within the Messenger team, you will build both back-end and front-end systems, and work closely with designers, product managers, researchers, and data analysts. You will coach and mentor other engineers and partner closely with the Engineering Manager to develop the team and to devise technical strategy.
Our growth rate is faster than almost every other Saas company, ever and we've recently announced a $125 million Series D investment round. We're facing many exciting scaling challenges and we're building a robust platform where your expertise can be applied to areas such as building a beautiful messenger composer, rule matching, deliverability, security, app availability and machine learning, to name a few.
Learn more about our engineering culture at intercom.engineering
What will I be doing?
As an experienced engineer you will:
Contribute to our technical architecture as we grow. We scale to service requests from all our customers' customers. We're growing and so are they.
Care about agility as much you care for scalability and availability. Continuous deployment keeps us focused on incremental releases. Even our biggest technical achievements roll out piece by piece, feature flagged out of sight.
Contribute to all phases of software development including ideation, prototyping, design and implementation. This role has a mix of both hands-on development as well as lead/architecture work.
- Play an active role in hiring, mentoring and career development of other engineers
- Raise the bar for technical standards, performance, reliability, and operational excellence
What skills do I need?
- Ideally, you've built an exciting SaaS product in your previous roles and loved the satisfaction that comes with knowing that people around the world are using something you've created
- Significant, demonstrated impact that your work has had on the product and/or the teams
- Deep knowledge of a high-level programming language (for example, Ruby, Python, Perl etc.) but it doesn't need to be a language that we use here! Great people are effective and learn what we use quickly (or introduce us to better ways of working)
- You will have experience with Distributed systems
- Knowledge of Web or mobile animation
- 2+ years of experience as the primary technical leader for a team
Experience collaborating directly with product teams and designers, and a proven track record of delivering value to customers or users. Engineers at Intercom are pragmatists who work closely with others on cross-disciplinary teams and have a strong sense of product strategy.
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there's something important to you that's not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work!
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we're happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Staff Engineer (Messenger)
Tags: analytics, customer support, email, saas / subscription