Software Engineering Intern, Frontend
Remote job description
About the role
We are looking for a Summer 2021 front end engineering intern who is passionate about making the most interesting applications utilizing Strava's vast data and expertise. If you are excited by working with cutting edge technology and want to spend a summer building features that millions of Strava athletes directly interact with, please consider applying.
Interns at Strava are considered full members of the engineering team.They build software that gets deployed to millions of athletes. We'll give you experienced mentors and all the tools you need to make a meaningful impact on our product.
Our team is focused on the most impactful surfaces of Strava's web presence and is supported by cross-functional partners. We maintain and advance our front end technologies to ensure a great developer and user experience, as well as work frequently with non-technical colleagues to provide tools for marketing opportunities.
What You'll Do:
- Invest in moving a legacy codebase into modern frontend technologies like React, Webpack, and NextJS.
- Work directly with product managers, designers, analysts, and product marketing managers to deliver solutions to problems, both internal and athlete-facing.
- Have the opportunity to drive and influence user experience decisions collaboratively with product and design.
- Enable athletes to make the most of their athletic lives.
- Innovate during Strava Jams when engineers have four uninterrupted days to hack on a project of their choosing.
- Rising Senior (2022 grad), new grad (2021), or recent bootcamp grad.
- Excited about applying HTML/CSS fundamentals to user experience.
- Interested in collaborating with engineers across the full stack, gaining exposure to things like Scala and Ruby on Rails.
- Familiarity with version control. We use Github.
- Disciplined approach to testing your code.
- Motivated to make everything you touch better, continually applying a growth mindset to your work.
Strava is Swedish for "strive," which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We're a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. And with billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and audacious vision: to be the record of the world's athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes' days even better. And just as we're deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we're dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We're backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we're expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community ?" we are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes' lives ?" now more than ever. All to say, it's a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Company name: Strava
Remote job title: Software Engineering Intern, Frontend
Job tags: Scala, Ruby on Rails, Version Control Systems