Software Engineer, Full Stack
Remote job description
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling's mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world's most innovative biotech companies use Benchling's R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is on a mission to accelerate the pace of life sciences research. To do that, we build a suite of tools that scientists use daily to solve humanity's most pressing problems. Some of these tools help scientists better collaborate - like our electronic lab notebook & workflow product. Others help scientists do their research - like our molecular biology suite, which scientists use to analyze & work with DNA. All of the tools that we build require that the data in Benchling reflects the actions that scientists are taking in the physical world. That's where the Inventors team comes in.
The Inventors team makes it easy to keep Benchling up-to-date with scientists' actions in the biotech lab. Our APIs and UIs enable scientists to easily update Benchling data as scientists take action in the lab. For example, when scientists receive a shipment of materials, they may use our bulk import UI to register all of those materials, and their location in the lab, within Benchling. Across all of our surfaces, we focus on making our users as productive as possible.
As a software engineer on the Inventors team, you'll work closely with other engineers, product, and design to empower scientists to model and represent their physical world in Benchling. You'll get to engage closely with scientists and those who support them (our customers) to build products that will push forward the wave of biotechnology.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement backend models and API endpoints for complex scientific workflows.
- Design and implement rich frontend components and architecture. We build and operate one of the largest, richest React applications out there and power complex scientific analyses.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, marketing, and sales to ensure the right context is being shared.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
- You have 6+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- You enjoy engaging with product managers, designers, customer support, and customers themselves - working with them to solve complex business problems and iterate rapidly on feedback
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product.
- You are eager to dive into deep technical complexity and "repair the ship while we fly it."
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $157,250 to $212,750.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don't discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.
Company name: Benchling
Remote job title: Software Engineer, Full Stack
Job tags: Full Stack Development