Software Engineer, Design Systems
Remote job description
The Design Systems team creates a standard shared UI language in code that spans the Discord's user-facing platforms. Designers and engineers on this team collaborate closely to accelerate product feature teams' ability to ship new features with UI that is consistent and high quality. Our design system is still in the early stages, so there's lots of opportunity to have impact here!
We're looking for product-driven, empathetic engineers who have experience building front-end architecture for other engineers, and by extension our users.
What you'll be doing:
- Help build the foundation of our design system (design tokens, components, and other code patterns) and improve it over time.
- Write code that works across our iOS, Android, desktop, and web platforms.
- Create and maintain Figma plugins that synchronize our designs to code (and vice versa).
- Create lightweight developer tooling to aid in migration and communicating best practices (e.g. linting rules, CI jobs).
- Collaborate closely with other engineers and designers to understand the needs and impact of your work.
- Provide guidance to teams on the best way to utilize design systems components and tools across their projects.
- Build internal tools to empower all of our engineers and designers to leverage the design system to the fullest extent.
- Work with Senior and Staff level engineers to grow your skillset and aptitudes.
- You will thrive in this role if...
- Familiarity with web (React, TypeScript) or mobile (React Native, Objective-C, Kotlin) development. We're a cross-platform team and believe that engineers should be empowered to work across a variety of tech stacks. We'll support you in learning the stacks you don't know!
- Experience building, shipping, and iterating on product features or internal tools.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with designers or product managers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness and excitement to learn new technical skills.
- Experience working on a project where you interfaced directly with stakeholders.
- Experience working on a design system.
- Experience migrating existing front-end codebases to new technical patterns.
- New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $165,000/year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law.
- Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $132,000/year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests - from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We're working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It's a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Company name: Discord
Remote job title: Software Engineer, Design Systems