Remote job description
MOO splits its engineering teams into 3 divisions, commerce - post order - supporting services. As part of the commerce team Browse looks after the MOO website from a technical perspective. We deliver beautiful interactive experiences, SEO friendly content, effective and flexible merchandising and make sure it performs for MOO and its users across the world.
This is a really exciting period for MOO as we re-engineer and ready ourselves for new opportunities, new product lines and new user audiences. Browse is on a journey to deliver a new generation of technology to support these changes. We will be protecting and developing the best aspects of the current solution while selecting and refining the best approach for the future.
The successful candidate will listen, collaborate and calculate the best solution, employing their experience and imagination to solve complex merchandising challenges.
They will empathise, persuade, coach, and code to help deliver high-level architecture changes. They will influence our team's use of cloud, headless and serverless solutions to deliver content, SEO and merchandising features into an evolving ecommerce project.
- The successful candidate will report to the Engineering Team Lead (Browse) and work closely with an experienced team of software engineers, front-end specialists, agile coaches, and user experience experts.
- Influence the selection, commissioning and implementation of SaaS CMS architecture.
- Solve subtle architectural problems and design questions at any level of abstraction (method, class, function, endpoint, service, infrastructure, UX).
- Continuously improve clean coding practices to build, run and test an excellent maintainable codebase.
- Coach peers and juniors and bring your experiences with AWS and similar serverless and technology to the team.
- Address operational needs from CI/CD to observability and analytics consistent with "You Build It You Run It".
- Balance scope against deadlines responsibly, while continuously improving software quality and maintaining sustainable working practices.
- Turn day-time hours support rota slots into opportunities to improve our software and infrastructure.
- The person we appoint to this role will be enthusiastic, imaginative, optimistic and keen to work as part of a team. To be considered for the role, you'll need to show you:
- Will be able to empathise, persuade, coach, and code.
- Have deep knowledge of at least part of our tech stack.
- Are an excellent communicator in any medium.
- Care about our customers getting a great experience with us.
- Can solve problems creatively - imagining solutions that satisfy our constraints and are as simple as possible.
- Understand the agile & lean mindsets
- Work empirically, bringing forward the day your assumptions are tested by reality
- Focus on learning (individually, and with the team) because we can't know everything.
- Accept we are all wrong some of the time.
- Are able to visit London, UK at least 8 times a year for deep-dive retrospectives, workshops and building team spirit.
- Nice to haves - if you do have these competencies, be sure to highlight them in your covering note, if you don't, but think you can help, apply anyway.
- Headless CMS experience.
- Knowledge of at least one Inversion of Control framework / approach (Guice, Spring etc)
- HTML, CSS, React and templating technologies.
- Familiar with supporting systems to achieve SLOs such as error rate, response time or Core Web Vitals.
- Magnolia CMS or similar
Company name: MOO
Remote job title: Software Engineer
Job tags: e-commerce, business services, personalisation, photos, smb, soho