Remote job description
At Canva, we're transforming the way the world designs. Canva's user base has grown by over 10x over the last 2 years, and serves tens of millions of users every single month, all over the world, in over 100 languages, and across web and mobile platforms. To maintain high availability, top-notch performance, and the continued scalability of the environment as Canva grows, we've decided to grow our Infrastructure Group. We're seeking self-motivated and talented engineers to join us in our Sydney global HQ.
As a result of our recent $15bn valuation and consistent profitability, we're adding a new member to our infrastructure engineering team focused on ownership and support of the engineering internationalisation and localisation efforts across the entire Canva platform and product suite. This will ensure all of our users (all 50+ millions of them) will continue to enjoy the best design experience possible, no matter where in the world they are.
This is a 100% hands-on engineering role that spans the areas of site reliability, build+deploy, and cloud engineering. The successful candidate will have previously demonstrated experience designing non-trivial systems and infrastructure. The translation pipelines and processes we currently have are complicated, and this new role would take over ownership and extend these systems much further in lock-step with Canva's growing international footprint.
- Own the translation pipeline and be the engineering advocate for translation systems within the broader infrastructure team
- Architecting, delivering, and supporting (via FAQs, ad hoc support) new features as well as continued improvement (for example, a simplified i18n pull request process for engineers)
- Building out a searchable resource based on the translation memory for designers and product managers to consult
- Participate in design meetings, interviews, and code reviews
- Propose new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we scale up
- Be excited about challenges with a scale and performance angle - be driven by the idea of debugging, benchmarking, building awesome things, and picking up new technologies and skills as you grow
Required Skills and Experience
- Some experience developing translation and localization systems in a prior role, so that you may effectively lead our localization efforts from the engineering side, and draw on prior experience and industry best practices.
- Experience with Smartling or another similar Translation Management System such as SDL Trados.
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering: non-trivial system design, concurrency, multithreading, data structures, architecture, and various design patterns
- Advanced coding proficiency in Python/Java and Bash; Java, C#, or C++ or other OOP Development experience would also be a value add
- Experience working in Linux cloud-based services in AWS, Google Cloud, or Azure
- An understanding of the DevOps ecosystem concerning tooling, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure as Code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong soft skills managing both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Be self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership over complex problems and their related solutions
What's in it for you
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by the Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.Summary
Company name: Canva
Remote job title: Software Engineer
Job tags: Smartling, AWS, Google Cloud, Azure