Senior Software Engineer Payments
Remote job description
The Payments team is responsible for accepting money from customers and paying it out to riders and restaurants. This is done on a massive scale across the globe. Ensuring local tax and invoice rules are met and that our partners have effective cash flow with which to manage their own businesses. The team partners with third party payments providers to unlock Payment methods across all our markets. Much of the code is written in Ruby on Rails and Go.
You should join our team if you would like to:
- Be part of a full stack team: Work as part of a full stack product team to develop solutions to ensure optimal experiences for our customers, riders, and restaurants
- Utilise a variety of backend technologies to build scalable products
- Be a decision maker: You'll take part in decisions related to how we undertake new projects, and help set the strategic direction of this high performing team
- Help drive a continuous planning process, and be self led in identifying, analysing and solving your own business problems using any platform at your disposal.
- Be an effective communicator: You will build relationships with with Product Managers, Data Scientists and the Business to gather requirements and scope out projects with the rest of the team
- Communicate complex problems to your team in a technical form.
- Be a mentor: As a Senior Engineer, we would want you to be passionate about education and sharing your knowledge with more junior engineers
- Make an impact across the business: The software you build will affect every order placed with Deliveroo. See immediate impact in the market with the features you ship, whether it be a localised payment method in France, or a global integration into a large PSP.
We want to emphasise that we don't expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in some of these areas.
Nice to have
- Prior experience in building payment integrations with 3rd parties
- Professional experience with highly scalable service, streaming or event driven, in any language, and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Scala, Go)
- Experience with ProtoBuf and Elastisearch
Great Candidates would have
- Experience with testing frameworks (e.g. RSpec, Minitest, Capybara, Selenium), writing code in a TDD approach.
- Experience with relational databases (Aurora, MySQL) and key-value stores (Memcache, Redis)
- Experience with front-end web technology, bonus points for React
- Experience with Terraform is a plus
- Experience with message brokers, such as Kafka, and event driven design.
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, when and where they want it.
Our journey began with our founder Will, arriving in London and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite living in one of the world's best cities for food. In 2013 he got on his bike and founded Deliveroo.
Fast forward to today and Deliveroo can be found in 12 markets, with over 100,000 riders delivering orders from over 140,000 restaurants and stores serving millions of customers in hundreds of cities worldwide.
Delivering great food from restaurants is how we started, but isn't our only offering. We pioneered the delivery-only kitchen model, Deliveroo Editions, where we use data to identify gaps in the market and bring new brands and cuisines to new areas, giving people more choice in their local neighbourhood. And using our network and technology we provide a growing on-demand grocery service, which has not only brought incredible levels of convenience to our customers but has been a lifeline to so many during COVID.
We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces, and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds, and the algorithms behind our marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
There are so many questions we are working on and plenty more we haven't even encountered. How do we give low income families access to affordable healthy meals? How do we tackle waste? How can we scale our network to tens of millions of orders a day? What does a future layout of a restaurant look like? How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we take what we know about a customer and offer a personalised selection?
At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas.
The size of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. Only 3% of the global food market is online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of other industries, such as from travel (45%) and retail (10%), and it is clear we are at the very beginning of our journey. Despite being one of the world's fastest growing multi-billion dollar companies, we're only just getting started.
We hope you're as excited about the scale of the opportunity as we are and, if you share our ambition, that you'll join us and be part of this incredible story.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.
Company name: Deliveroo
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer Payments
Job tags: marketplace, e-commerce, food, local, retail, smb