Senior Software Engineer OpenTelemetry Instrumentation
Remote job description
Senior Software Engineer - OpenTelemetry Instrumentation
What is Grafana Cloud?
Grafana Cloud is our composable observability platform that integrates metrics, logs, and traces with Grafana. It allows our customers to leverage the best open source observability software including Prometheus, Mimir, Loki, and Tempo without the overhead of installing, maintaining and scaling their own observability stack
The Application Observability department is focused on enabling developers to understand the health and performance of their applications in any environment by providing tools to instrument their code, ingest observability data into Grafana Cloud and visualize and explore it.
As a company we are remote-first and global, we embrace people of different experiences and backgrounds to build diverse teams where every person brings a unique perspective to the software. We are looking for Engineers that are passionate about communicating with data and providing seamless experiences for our customers to join our growing team! Engineers at Grafana also have the opportunity to contribute to Open Source communities.
What will you be doing?
As an OpenTelemetry instrumentation engineer you will:
- Work on OpenTelemetry-based solutions. We have already shipped Grafana OpenTelemetry distributions for Java and .NET, and we plan to add more.
- Write documentation. As an instrumentation expert, you will write documentation that makes it easy for Grafana Cloud users to instrument their applications with OpenTelemetry and get started with Grafana Cloud.
- Improve the Application Observability product. You will build dashboards and provide guidance on how to monitor various technologies covered by OpenTelemetry components.
- Teach others! You will promote best practices around OpenTelemetry, semantic conventions, and various technologies and frameworks to both Grafana squads and customers.
As we are remote-first and our engineering organization is largely remote, we provide guidance and meet regularly using video calls, so an independent attitude and good communication skills are a must.
What are we looking for in you?
- You have a passion for observability and like to share your knowledge by writing documentation and blog posts, and by helping out customers.
- You are a good communicator who is comfortable with working in a remote environment. You work independently and help others to succeed.
- You're curious and you enjoy learning new programming languages and frameworks, setting up examples, and figuring out how things work.
- You want to become a member of the OpenTelemetry community and contribute upstream to OpenTelemetry's open-source instrumentation projects.
Generous vacation policy of 30 days per annum with national holidays in your country of residence on top
Grafana operates in 32+ countries. We try to operate as one team and focus on global benefits which our whole team can enjoy. Inevitably there are some regional variations and we discuss the benefits offered in your country of residence through our interview process.
We offer a competitive healthcare plan (Medical, Dental & Vision) for our US based employees via our co-employer JustWorks.
We offer a 4% employer contribution match on our 401K/pension plans or a one time 4% salary increase after 6 months tenure depending on your location
In the United States, the Base compensation range for this role is $168,000 - $201,000. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience, and skillset as assessed in the interview process. Benefits include equity, bonus (if applicable) and other benefits listed here.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer OpenTelemetry Instrumentation
Job tags: instrumentation, Python, Ruby on Rails