Senior Software Engineer, Discovery Machine Learning Infrastructure
Remote job description
Discord is about creating a space for everyone to find belonging in their lives. Hundreds of millions of people use Discord every week to have meaningful interactions.
The mission of the Discovery & Notifications team at Discord is to help users connect and engage with the online communities to create this belonging. We are working on enabling our users' experiences with search, recommendations, and smart notifications. We are just starting to build these ML driven user experiences and if you are someone who is passionate about building things from scratch, this could be a great opportunity for you!
What you'll be doing
- Design and build large scale low latency machine learning systems for retrieval, ranking and personalization.
- Build generalizable infrastructure for NLP, retrieval and ranking, especially using MLOps stack like TFX.
What you should have
- Experience building, deploying, and operating large-scale distributed systems: it makes you uncomfortable deploying something for end-users without considering key performance metrics, monitors and dashboards, graceful degradation, feature flags, etc.
- Experience with common languages used for machine learning practice such as Python and familiarity with frameworks like PyTorch and TensorFlow.
- 5+ years of software development experience, or 3+ years with an advanced degree.
- Ideally a mix of search / recsys experience and Platform / infrastructure experience.
- 80/20 thinking, the desire to build for impact while progressing towards excellence.
- Passion for Discord or online communities.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative field including Computer Science, Physics, Applied Math, Statistics or other quantitative fields.
- New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $186,000/year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
- Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $167,400/year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
#buildbelonging #LI-Remote #LI-Hybrid
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests - from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We're working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It's a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Company name: Discord
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer, Discovery Machine Learning Infrastructure