Senior Software Engineer, Core Media
Remote job description
Loom is the video communication platform for async work that helps companies communicate better at scale. Loom makes it easy to record quick videos of your screen and camera and instantly share them with a link. More than 20M users across 350k+ companies around the world trust Loom to share feedback, updates, intros, training, and more - every day. Founded in late 2015, Loom has raised $203M from world-class investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, Iconic, and Coatue.
The Core Media team lives at the heart of Loom's product development, providing a set of libraries, services, and APIs used across our systems to power recording, editing, and playback. We are now seeking passionate software engineers to join us to build efficient, reliable, and capable media infrastructures to unlock the power of Loom. As a team member, you will create and optimize cross-platform technologies that power our product experience of Loom creation, editing, and viewing. You will strongly influence the roadmap charting the future of Loom innovations.
- Architect and build the server-side and client-side infrastructure that enables engineering teams to build world-class video messaging products.
- Design and implement innovative media features that delight our users and differentiate Loom's products and services from our competitors.
- Identify opportunities and drive critical initiatives to improve our media infrastructure to drive down operation and engineering costs.
- Uphold a high standard of engineering excellence because the performance and reliability of media infrastructure directly impact our product experience, hence the perception of Loom's overall brand.
- Diagnose and improve the quality of the end-to-end video experience. Optimize our media pipelines to be performant across all the platforms that Loom is offering (iOS, Android, Mac, Windows, Chrome Extension)
- Display strong ownership and influence over the team's roadmap and, therefore, significantly impact the company's strategy.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers, fostering a collaborative and learning environment within the team.
What We're Looking For
- 4+ years of experience in a professional hands on software development position.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience with complicated distributed systems.
- Solid understanding and experience with concurrency, multithreading, and real-time systems.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages that require memory and resource management.
- Experience with profiling and optimizing resource-intensive applications.
- Experience and passion for working across multiple platforms, operating systems, and programming languages.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate cross-functionally between groups with different technologies and pipelines
- Experience with developing cloud service (AWS, GCP, etc.) and streaming technologies.
- Experience building FFmpeg filters or have worked with FFmpeg APIs and tools.
- Experience with at least one mainstream media codecs and container format (VP8/x264/AAC/HLS etc.).
- Experience with video/audio distribution or streaming technologies.
Perks at Loom
- Competitive compensation and equity package
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
- 14 paid company holidays plus Summer Break in July and Winter Break in December
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
- Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with 4% company matching
- Wellness stipends
- Flexible PTO
- Paid parental leave
- Remote work opportunities
- Professional development reimbursement
- Home office & technology reimbursement
How We WorkFreedom and Flexibility: At Loom, we believe work is an act, not a place. When we disengage work from a location, we can accommodate a broad range of life choices. You can choose to work from home or while you travel. We are able to hire across the United States and are continuing to expand our international presence. And you are free to move within a country without any adjustment to compensation.
Engaging Workday: The key to an engaging workday is finding the right balance between different ways to work sync, async, text and video. Loom makes it easier for us to say what we mean without having to schedule a zoom meeting or struggle to find the right words. And using async communication allows us to free up time for deep work every day. We believe there's a place for sync time - often a conversation on Zoom is exactly what is needed. For team meetings, this 'sync time' is typically between 9AM-Noon PT given where the overlap of timezones where Loommates are located.
Work-Rest Balance: The way we balance the fast-paced demands of a high-growth startup and sustainability is making rest a priority. We offer a flexible PTO policy so you're able to take time off when you need it. We also go fully offline for Summer Break around 4th of July and between Christmas and New Years. Rest is also part of the workday, not just during PTO. Taking a break for personal commitments, whether it's watching the kids or getting some exercise is a natural part of the workday.
Social Connection: Relationships and connectedness matter. We are intentional about building trust and relationships through unique, shared experiences. Our virtual workspace keeps us connected day-to-day whether it's through Looms celebrating wins or our buzzing Slack communities. Loommates are able to meet in person with their teams at least twice a year purely for fun. We have also built local offices for those who want to work or meet in person, starting with San Francisco and New York City.
Loom = Equal Opportunity EmployerWe are actively seeking to create a diverse work environment because teams are stronger with different perspectives and experiences.
We value a diverse workplace and encourage women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. All employees and contractors of Loom are responsible for maintaining a work culture free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with kindness and respect.
To learn more about how Loom collects and uses your personal information during the application process, please see the Loom Candidate Privacy Notice.
Company name: Loom
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer, Core Media
Job tags: Distributed Systems, Operating Systems, Resource Allocation