Senior Software Engineer, Business Products
Remote job description
Squarespace is looking for passionate backend engineers to build and scale the services powering our interactive web and mobile applications.
We firmly believe that design is not merely "how it looks" but "how it works." With this in mind, our backend engineers work on Product Engineering teams, which are dedicated to creating the most seamless, integrated products possible. If you are a server-side engineer who enjoys taking ownership of product initiatives and carrying them from concept to production, we want to hear from you! You will report to an Engineering Team Lead in our New York City headquarters.
All Squarespace employees are working remotely at this time. We are closely monitoring the status of COVID-19 as we continue our work to build a return-to-work plan that ensures a safe return to our offices and provides flexibility for our employees. While many of our engineers are based in NYC, we have teams that are able to accommodate fully remote work.Please select which state you hope to reside in via the dropdown with our approved locations below.
What is the Business Products group?
Business Product teams build products that help Squarespace customers sell products and manage orders online. You will help build the best platform for individuals to start a stand-out ecommerce brand and grow it. As a member of Business Products, you will work with product managers, engineers, and designers to deliver software products to our customers and have the exciting opportunity to help small business owners launch their ideas.
We have multiple teams that are hiring,and throughout the interview process our goal will be to learn more about your technical skills, the kind of work that excites you, and where you want to take your career. Here are a few examples of teams that are hiring:
- Activation: The Activation team's objective is to help our merchants onboard smoothly on our Commerce platform. They are a data-driven team that constantly looks for areas of improvements to make sure that there is no friction during the store setup. For example the team owns the Commerce Dashboard and the service backing it.
- Fulfillment: The Fulfillment team is building tools that help commerce customers transact and fulfill orders seamlessly within Squarespace's ecosystem. As part of the Commerce Online Stores group, the Shipping and Fulfillment team's mission is to ensure that our merchants have the right tools to successfully process their customers orders: from order packing to delivery or pickup. The team is currently laser focused on integrating with 3rd party partners to provide a smooth shipping label creation and on-demand printing. There are many more opportunities for shipping & fulfillment innovations for small & medium retailers that the team will tackle next.
- Channels: The Commerce Channels team specializes in the coordination of commerce data (products, orders, and more) between platforms to enable Squarespace merchants to expand their online presence as they see fit, while also supporting broad-scale initiatives that allow merchants from other platforms to create a Squarespace website and start selling independently with minimal friction. As an engineer on the Channels team, you will help us design, implement, and support the backend pipelines and UIs that our merchants depend on to sell cross-platform, whether they're ready to branch out or get started selling existing online inventory on their own website.
- Scheduling: Squarespace Scheduling is the easiest way to manage appointments online. We help our customers monetize their time for a wide range of uses, from fitness classes to haircuts, 1-on-1 online consultations, or vaccine appointments.
- We have multiple teams looking for engineers excited about doing fullstack work! If this sounds like you, please note this in your application.
- You will write server-side code, create high-volume production applications, and develop prototypes quickly.
- You will develop new features into the Squarespace platform, building backend services with Java
- Collaborate with other engineers and designers to provide strong customer-focused experiences.
- Ensure the reliability of systems essential to Squarespace users and businesses powered by Squarespace.
- Practice disciplined software engineering (e.g. automated testing, code reviews, and writing beautiful, readable code).
- Actively contribute to team and company standards.
- Mentor junior team members.
- Development experience in Java, PHP, Python, Go or another Object-oriented language. Experience developing large-scale software is preferred.
- An understanding of, and practical experience with, web application development.
- A solid foundation in computer science, with competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design practices.
- A sincere commitment to crafting readable code.
- Understanding of database schema design, caching and scalability.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Benefits & Perks
- Health insurance with 100% premium covered for you and your dependent children
- Flexible vacation & paid time off
- Up to 20 weeks of paid family leave
- Equity plan for all employees
- Retirement benefits with employer match
- Fertility and adoption benefits
- Free lunch and snacks at all offices
- Education reimbursement
- Dog-friendly workplace
- Private rooftop access
- Pre Tax commuter benefits
- 7 Employee Resource Groups across locations
- Employee donation match to community organizations
- Hack week twice per year!
Squarespace makes beautiful products to help people with creative ideas succeed. By blending elegant design and sophisticated engineering, we empower millions of people - from individuals and local artists to entrepreneurs shaping the world's most iconic businesses - to share their stories with the world. Squarespace's team of more than 1,200 is headquartered in downtown New York City, with offices in Dublin, Los Angeles and Portland. For more information, visit www.squarespace.com/about.
Today, more than a million people around the globe use Squarespace to share different perspectives and experiences with the world. Not only do we embrace and celebrate the diversity of our customer base, but we also strive for the same in our employees. At Squarespace, we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.Summary
Company name: Squarespace
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer, Business Products
Job tags: saas / subscription, business services, smb, soho, websites