Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Remote job description
Reddit is a community of communities where people can dive into anything through experiences built around their interests, hobbies, and passions. Our mission is to bring community, belonging, and empowerment to everyone in the world. Reddit users submit, vote, and comment on content, stories, and discussions about the topics they care about the most. From pets to parenting, there's a community for everybody on Reddit and with over 50 million daily active users, it is home to the most open and authentic conversations on the internet. For more information, visit redditinc.com.
The Ads Contextual Intelligence team is the result of a recent merger between Reddit and Spiketrap. This newly formed team is responsible for all the "contextualization" projects within the Reddit Monetization charter. We are in charge of making sense of all users and advertisers generated content in an automated fashion at scale, providing the right combination of signals to improve marketplace efficiency and bringing to the surface Business Intelligence insights. Our team has the potential to highlight one of Reddit's biggest differentiators: genuinely curated, high quality, extremely relevant, and daily updated organic content. We are a Machine Learning/Data heavy team with a focus in the following areas:
- Knowledge Graph - Semi-automatic curation, expansion, and utilization of Reddit very own Knowledge database. NLP tokenization, NER models, disambiguation systems at KG node level.
- Contextual Signals - Make sense of Posts, Landing pages, Ads Placements, Organic Topics using team owned engines in combination with other Reddit's content understanding teams.
- Implementing backend services and data processing pipelines to expose and integrate Spiketrap tech into Reddit tech
- Developing new data pipelines: You will work on extracting, transforming, and combining data from various content & content-understanding sources, internal and external
- Collaborate with peer ML Engineers: you will help define and consolidate ML systems, pre & post processing data flows, and possibly architect ML Infrastructure refactors along the way
- Building and maintaining APIs for our Business Intelligence Applications.
- Ensuring the reliability, scalability, and performance of the backend systems by writing automated tests, monitoring performance, and implementing best practices for data management
- Participating in code reviews: You will review code written by other team members and provide feedback to ensure that it meets the team's standards for quality and performance.
- Collaborating with cross-functional teams to understand business requirements and translate them into technical solutions.
- 6+ years of industry experience as a Software Engineer developing production code
- Experience with at least one general programming language such as Ruby or Python
- Preferred Experience in one or more of the following areas: Message Queuing Services (Kafka, Amazon Simple Queue Service), Data Processing Frameworks (Apache Spark, Apache Flink), Key Value Stores (Redis, DynamoDB), Document based DBs (MongoDB,Cassandra), Container Orchestration (Kubernetes, Mesos)
- Familiarity with algorithms and data structures, and the ability to apply them to solve complex problems.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to work effectively with product managers, data scientists, and other stakeholders
- A willingness to learn and stay up-to-date with new technologies and best practices in the field.
- Experience with Python, Ruby, Rails, Kafka, Airflow, Kubernetes
- Experience with Ads
- Experience with Natural Language Understanding (ML science and infra)
- Experience building scalable data-driven systems
- Comprehensive Health benefits
- 401k Matching
- Workspace benefits for your home office
- Personal & Professional development funds
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Vacation (please use them!) & Reddit Global Days Off
- 4+ months paid Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer time off
This job posting may span more than one career level.
In addition to base salary, this job is eligible to receive equity in the form of restricted stock units, and depending on the position offered, it may also be eligible to receive a commission. Additionally, Reddit offers a wide range of benefits to U.S.-based employees, including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) program with employer match, generous time off for vacation, and parental leave. To learn more, please visit https://www.redditinc.com/careers/.
To provide greater transparency to candidates, we share base pay ranges for all US-based job postings regardless of state. We set standard base pay ranges for all roles based on function, level, and country location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including, skills, depth of work experience and relevant licenses/credentials, and may vary from the amounts listed below.
The base pay range for this position is: $183,500 - $275,300.
Reddit is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at ApplicationAssistance@Reddit.com.
Company name: reddit
Remote job title: Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Job tags: NoSQL, MongoDB, Algorithms and Data Structures