Senior Manager, Services Engineering
Remote job description
Flipboard is a content discovery platform designed to inform and inspire the world. Available on web, iOS, and Android, Flipboard offers the world important and influential articles, videos, podcasts and products shared by the greatest publishers and our vibrant Flipboard community to advance conversation, keep people informed, and inspire them to engage, learn, and lead.
At Flipboard we are re-imagining how people consume news and information in the world. As a senior manager in the Services Engineering organization, you will be a critical driver of the design and implementation of Flipboard's software platform, leading a world-class team of engineers building out and maintaining the core systems which support and enable our innovative applications, while collaborating with product and design teams to define our next generation of implementations supporting and enabling our services. You are a strong engineer who can lead multiple parallel initiatives who pays attention to detail while managing stakeholder expectations and is passionate about technology and delivering first class experiences to our end users.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, our Flipboard team is 100% remote. This role can be 100% remote from anywhere in the continental US or Canada during and post-pandemic.
As a senior manager you will:
- Lead and define the architecture of Flipboard's microservices supporting the core applications
- Design resilient, highly performant and scalable distributed cloud service in the AWS environment
- Interpret, analyze, and work with large amounts of data and produce insights
- Contribute to advancing the team's design methodology and quality programming practices
- Partner with product, design and technical team members to develop realistic roadmaps for development, balancing project needs with competing priorities.
- Serving as a technical resource for team members fostering an environment of continuous engineering improvement through mentoring, feedback, and metrics
- Lead the planning, scoping and design of major parts of the platform, orchestrating cross functional dependencies, risks while ensuring high-quality and successful delivery of projects
- Leverage modern cloud-first technologies to create efficient and performant processes
- Critically review the code and guide the team with a focus on improving the code quality
- Play a key role in shaping the direction of engineering processes
- Be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day project leadership along with recruiting, performance management and career growth
- Being an advocate for your team by identifying and implementing improvements as well as bubbling up team successes and concerns to leadership
- Act as a technology owner and enable teams to deliver on a vision that builds capabilities aligned with business strategy
- Manage multiple functions within the services engineering organization which will include 1 or more technology components: Content, Ads, Core Applications, Search, Email and Notifications, Scheduling and Feed Generation.
- 5+ years professional experience in software engineering in languages such as C++, Java, Python and Go on linux based platforms.
- 2+ years experience managing, coaching, and guiding high performing software development teams on large, complex and cross functional projects
- Passionate about coaching team members and helping them grow.
- Ability to quickly learn complex new systems and identify areas of risk and dependencies
- Experience automating and scaling complex microservices and application architectures
- Experience working with cloud based technologies, solving and implementing scalable solutions to solve complex problems
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A Self-starter who is highly functional in a multi-location environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence decisions and resolve conflicts
- Ability to speak on engineering topics between technical, product, and business counterparts, communicating the big picture to help provide context for leadership
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous 'out of office time' for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs (post-pandemic)
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced CEO, Mike McCue, the Flipboard team is a positive, respectful, and diverse group of bright and highly capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. The Flipboard team is headquartered in downtown Redwood City, CA in the beautiful SF Bay Area. Although our roots lie in the Silicon Valley, our team extends around the world: New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver, and London.
- Our culture: We value an environment and culture that encourages people's voices and perspectives to be heard. We believe that leveraging our team will lead us to create better products and services for all our users and partners. We value diversity and inclusion at Flipboard and are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from thousands of publishers around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.
Job title: Senior Manager, Services Engineering
Job tags: advertising, media, mobile, publishing