Lead Software Engineer
Remote job description
Insurance... sounds slow, old-fashioned, and unexciting. Exactly. Insurance is broken, and it's failing fast-moving, innovative startups.
Vouch is a new, technology-first insurance company backed with $160M in funding from world-class investors. Like Stripe for payments or Brex for credit cards, Vouch is creating the go-to business insurance for high-growth companies.
We're doing this by making insurance fast, responsive, and focused on our high-growth and innovative customers. Instead of printed PDF applications and week-long waits, Vouch is building new technology to solve real problems, writing policies that actually cover relevant startup scenarios, and designing simple experiences in an otherwise frustrating industry.
What does a work environment look like at Vouch?
Vouch is a Virtual First Workplace with San Francisco, Chicago, and New York City office locations. This role can be based anywhere in the U.S. as long as you can work our Vouch core collaboration hours (8:30 am-2:30 pm Pacific Time.) when most internal meetings are held.
Vouch is looking for a Full Stack Lead Software Engineer to join our Insurance Distribution team. The Insurance Distribution team is focused on building technology solutions to streamline the process of getting insurance through Vouch. These solutions drive our onboarding, application, quote, and coverage user flows. You will lead large projects, influence architectural choices across the organization, and mentor junior engineers.
- Own technical design and breakdown for complex software projects
- Lead engineers to deliver multi-phase projects in Vouch's core product
- Work closely with internal Vouch stakeholders to understand insurance workflows and create flexible solutions
- Set technical direction for the team and support the team in delivering ambitious goals
- Work closely with other technical leads to ensure consistent engineering standards and patterns
You may be a good fit for the role if:
- Have 7+ years of development experience and 1+ years leading large scale projects
- Have experience building distributed systems and APIs
- Experience writing production-level code as a full stack engineer in TypeScript; Experience with Ruby is a plus
- Have experience in Postgres or another transactional, relational database system, as well as ability to design schemas
- Have exceptional communication skills. You can effectively talk (and listen) to engineers, designers, product managers, executives, and other stakeholders
- Have experience with software engineering best practices such as TDD, SOLID, code reviews, A/B testing, AuthN/AuthZ etc.
- Have experience with a variety of architectural patterns
Tools & Technologies at Vouch:
- TypeScript, Prisma, NestJs, React, PostgreSQL, Kafka, GraphQL, Ruby on Rails
- Jest, Vitest, Playwright, RSpec
- CircleCI, Nomad, Docker, LogRocket, Datadog Rollbar, LaunchDarkly
- AWS (Lambdas, SQS, ECS, etc), Kafka
- GitHub, Figma, Atlassian Stack (Jira, Confluence, OpsGenie)
Vouch provides a number of benefits to help you bring your best self to work:
- Competitive compensation and equity packages
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Parental leave
- Flexible vacation time (Unlimited PTO)
- Wellness allowance ($80/month)
- Technology allowance ($100/month)
The pay range for this role is: $185,000 to $195,000 per year.
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry and are one part of our total compensation package that also includes benefits and other perks. We also include stock options in all compensation packages and believe all Vouch employees should have the opportunity to become owners in the company.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skill set, location, and business need. The base pay range provided is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
Vouch believes in putting our people first, and building a diverse team is at the front of everything we do. We welcome people from different backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ranges of abilities. We are an equal-opportunity employer and celebrate the diversity of our growing team.
If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, completing any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. #LI-Remote
Company name: Vouch
Remote job title: Lead Software Engineer