Head of Platform Engineering
Remote job description
Xapo is an international fintech startup on a mission to protect and grow its clients' life savings.
We're a fully distributed team that works remotely from 50+ countries around the world. We may come from many different cultures and backgrounds, but it's our values, our resourcefulness, and our drive that makes us Xapiens.
We work hard, think globally, and inspire each other to grow every day. If you're the best at what you do and share our passion, we want you.
Join us, wherever you are, and help us build a digital bank worthy of the digital age at Xapo.
A cloud native application platform automates infrastructure provisioning and configuration, dynamically allocating and reallocating resources at deploy time based on the needs of the application. Building on a cloud native runtime optimises application life-cycle management, including scaling to meet demand, resource utilisation, orchestration across available resources, and recovery from failures with minimum downtime.
This approach reduces cognitive load on teams (they have less to think about) and it creates a standard way of building software. This brings additional benefits with onboarding new developers or adding additional development teams. The platform team also has a role to play in developer mentoring and support; helping development teams understand how good cloud native software operates.
In successful software organisations, development teams can consume core services in a self-service manner from a central platform team. Examples of such services include:
- Infrastructure provisioning (Compute, Network, Storage)
- CI/CD pipelines and underlying tooling
- Standardised mechanisms to log, monitor and troubleshoot their services in all environments
- Codified templates to create new services in line with agreed architectural patterns
- Platform Engineering is a new function at Xapo and we are looking for a Head of Platform Engineering to build and lead this new team.
- Although we are headquartered in Gibraltar, this is a full time, 100% remote position. Work from anywhere!
The development community are your core customers. The driving principles that underpin this function are:
- A focus on the ongoing sustainable maintenance and operability of our developer platform.
- Adopting cloud native principles and a focus upon relentless automation and testing of change.
- We will only operate what we absolutely must, favour buy over build and SaaS over on-prem.
- Providing high quality fast feedback to development teams.
- Building a platform that is architected to handle change, be that new services, new customers, new regulations, new tooling or a change in demand.
- Designed software and/or platforms used by other developers, and have supported those developers with the adoption of these solutions.
- Extensive experience of running platforms within a DevOps organisation – delivering and operating a DevOps tool chain and automation are essential.
- Strong and demonstrable experience of developing a CI/CD pipeline and supporting technologies
- A deep technical knowledge in software and systems – able to dive into details with engineers, and distill to a high level for executives and non-technical audiences.
- Experience integrating with third party SaaS providers and a demonstrable understanding of when we should buy v build.
- Stays abreast of current technology developments and has demonstrated the ability to retain competitive advantage by implementing relevant technologies in software products.
Why work for xapo?
- Impact globally, work remotely.
- Shape the Future: Improve lives through cutting-edge technology, work 100% remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Own Your Success: Receive attractive remuneration, enjoy an autonomous work culture and flexible hours, apply your expertise to meaningful work every day.
- Expect Excellence: Collaborate, learn, and grow with a high-performance team.
We founded Xapo to address two of the biggest issues with Bitcoin adoption: accessibility and security. In a matter of years, we developed an industry-leading platform that introduced cryptocurrency into the daily lives of millions worldwide.
Now, we're bringing our expertise to all facets of our users' finances. Because no matter who we are or where we're from, we all deserve more options, more control, and more peace of mind where our money is concerned.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer – we believe that diversity is critical to our success as a global company. An inclusive workplace is the foundation of Xapo – it allows us to create products that cater to clients around the world.
Head of Platform Engineering (Remote - Work from Anywhere)
Tags: fintech, payment gateway, security