Backend Engineering Intern Grafana Authorization and Authentication
Remote job description
This is a 12 weeks contract position for EU Timezone - we can't consider other time zones due to team setup.
We are accepting applications from the following locations United Kingdom, Germany, or Sweden
Grafana is the de facto standard open-source dashboarding tool for visualizing and analyzing metrics. Since Grafana is open source, our user base ranges from finance firms on Wall Street to small beehive community groups. The most common use case for Grafana is infrastructure and application monitoring. Grafana helps companies gain insight into how their applications and users behave, enabling them to iterate and improve faster. It is an exciting opportunity to actively contribute to helping the Grafana Labs team build a product that enables our users to communicate with data and delight our users. You will also have the opportunity to help the team maintain and continue to build close links with our open-source community.
The Authorization and Authentication team at Grafana:
Millions of users sign in to Grafana every day to keep their software, factories, and space healthy and performant. We make sure they can do so as easily as possible, and we help admins sleep well at night knowing that their users have access to just the right data and functionality.
As a Grafana Authorization and Authentication team, we are responsible for everything related to authorization and authentication in Grafana. Our daily work often spans both open-source and proprietary code. Our next challenges revolve around streamlining and standardization of the authentication and authorization experience in Grafana, while maintaining our existing functionality, and supporting the community & customers.
We embrace experimentation, and lean principles, and encourage everyone to share their ideas and perspectives. Come and join us if you're interested in anything and everything authentication/authorization, and enjoy working with OSS as well as with proprietary software.
What you'll work on:
As an Authentication and Authorization intern, you will work closely with the team to learn and contribute to our OSS and Enterprise solutions. A selection of the projects we are currently working on includes role-based access control, Grafana authentication, Grafana Service Accounts, and Grafana enterprise enhanced authentication (SAML / LDAP / Team sync).
You will have the opportunity to
- Learn about our ways of working and best practices when contributing to OSS
- Pair up with more experienced Grafanistas to deliver new and exciting features
- Review and discuss open pull requests to gain more insight
- Gain in-depth knowledge in the authentication and authorization domains
- Collaborate with UX in designing usable and exciting solutions
- Implement your features with support from your colleagues
- Engage with the Grafana community and get feedback on your features
Who we're looking for:
At Grafana Labs we value diverse perspectives; it's one of our core values. The list above is not exhaustive, and you don't need to check all the boxes. We welcome individuals of various backgrounds and believe that this diverse mindset makes us stronger.
- You are comfortable working in a remote-first company and understand the importance of communication.
- You have an interest in the authentication and authorization domains.
- You enjoy learning, growing, and supporting others to do the same.
- You enjoy working as a team. For us, working together means being collaborative, friendly, kind, and respectful. We value autonomy and enabling decisions over committees and red tape.
- You can communicate clearly in written and spoken English.
- You enjoy learning and like a challenge ?" Grafana is a highly technological solution and has avid followers who rely on it every day and care deeply about their workflows. You value code maintainability, readability, and testing.
Grafana is mostly open source, you can browse grafana/grafana on GitHub directly to see how we build our software, here are the highlights:
- Our backend is built in Go, and our frontend is in TypeScript using React.
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQLite are the main databases we support.
- Application Review
- Recruiter Introductory call
- Manager Screening call
- Coding interview (after take-home test)
What do we offer?
- Work on a motivated, highly engaged remote team that's supportive and open to constructive feedback
- Projects that give you the feeling of making an impact both on our community and your colleagues.
- An onboarding plan, time for learning, and an assigned buddy that will provide support and guidance for the duration of your internship
Internship Program Information:
- Ability to work full-time for 12 weeks starting in June 2023
- You are currently an enrolled student attending a college or university with an expected graduation date in 2024
- This will be a paid internship
- We are accepting applications from the following locations US, Canada, United Kingdom, Netherlands, Germany, or Sweden
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
A note about covid-19: All Grafanistas who wish to attend in-person events or travel for Grafana Labs must be fully-vaccinated.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Backend Engineering Intern Grafana Authorization and Authentication
Job tags: Application Monitoring, Experimentation, finance