Backend Engineer Send, Account & Consumer Onboarding Tribe
Remote job description
Wise is one the fastest growing companies in Europe and we're on a mission: to make money without borders the new normal. We've got 13 million customers across the globe and we're growing. Fast.
Current banking systems don't let us send, spend or receive money across borders easily. Or quickly. Or cheaply.
- So, we're building a new one.
And, we need a Backend Engineer to join our mission and help us build a global platform that's scalable, reliable and secure. We're working on lots of algorithmical challenges, and you'll dive right into projects on reconciliation, integrations, authorisations and authentications.
What does it take?:
- A product mindset and passion for user experience. You want to prioritise work with customers in mind and can make data-driven decisions to fix customer pain-points
- Great communication skills and the ability to articulate complex, technical concepts to any audience, even a non-technical one
- Modern (8+) Java experience and, ideally, experience with Spring framework
- Experience working with relational databases, query optimisation and schema design. Ideally, you'll also have some experience with a few non-relational databases
- Reliance on automated tests and observability tooling to increase confidence building and maintaining services
- Experience with distributed systems - you know a thing or two about microservices, messaging systems like Kafka and how to design software with their possibilities and constraints in mind
- You have tried different software development methodologies and have found that there is no silver bullet - you prefer to think deeply about a problem and then decide on what structure and patterns to use to solve it
- You're kind and empathetic, relying on and supporting the rest of the team for discussions and code or design reviews.
What does success look like?
- You understand and can explain the problems people and businesses have when moving and managing money internationally
- You can explain the impact your work has on our customers and our mission
- You know where and how you can contribute to the Wise mission, in the context of your team and tribe
- You raise the automation level across our product, helping us drop prices even further
- You build leverage for other engineers and Wisers by improving tooling, documentation and processes as part of your daily work
- You contribute to creating a world class product by finding and building solutions to technical and product challenges
What you get back:
- RSU's in a growing company
- An annual self-development budget
- Pet friendly offices
- Lots of fun group activities like yoga, running and boardgame nights
- Relocation and visa expenses covered
- A paid 6-week sabbatical leave after four years
- Find out more about our benefits in our Tallinn office.
Interested? Find out more:
- How we work - a practical guide
- Wise Vlogs: Omar, Engineering Lead
- The Wise Tech Stack, 2020 edition
- Our Engineering career map
- Our Engineering values
- ...or check out our Engineering blog.
- We're people without borders - without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you're passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you'll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren't that important to us. If you've got great experience, and you're great at articulating your thinking, we'd like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we'd especially love to hear from you if you're from an under-represented demographic.
Company name: Wise
Remote job title: Backend Engineer Send, Account & Consumer Onboarding Tribe
Job tags: marketplace, fintech, forex, sharing economy