Remote job description
What's the opportunity?
You will be confronted with a wide spectrum of tasks. They range from collaborating with a variety of stakeholders, over designing features and taking architectural decisions to reviewing code of your peers and ensuring a good quality of our work. You will write and refine tickets and break down technical complexities. Together with your team you will give and receive candid feedback in retrospectives, one-on-ones and 360s.
We are using Scrum. If you have read the Scrum guide before or worked in a proper Scrum team, this already gives you a first idea about how we do things. We expect you to live and represent the core values of commitment, courage, focus, openness and respect.
Next to the values of the Scrum framework, cargo.one has its own leitmotif. If this sounds like a place you want to work in or have already worked in, that's a strong sign we should talk!
This position is remote. You can decide where you'd like to be based from this growing list of countries.
What you'll be doing:
- We are constantly thinking about our users. Obviously there are lots of people in the organization who are even closer to them, from customer service agents to account managers and of course our product team. Nonetheless, it is our job to ask "why?" a lot, challenge assumptions and bring our unique perspective as software engineers to the table.
- Our goal is to have continuous deployment pipelines and code that goes into production extremely fast. We are able to deploy a number of times per day today, but there are still a few manual steps involved. We are constantly expanding our automated tests and refining log messages, metrics and alerts to move closer to the aspired level of automation.
- We want to enable our co-workers to do their job as effectively as possible, so we are regularly building and extending self-service tools for the different roles in the organization. While we already covered quite a bit of ground on this front, there is still a lot to build. In the meantime, we are providing hands-on support to make sure our users have an awesome experience.
- We hate complacency. Everyone is expected to share knowledge, give feedback, support others to grow and display leadership when the team needs it most.
What you'll need:
- Relevant experience. We won't commit on a minimum number of years, but we expect you to have seen your fair share of projects that you have worked on as part of a development team.
- You should be interested in building an amazing product. Have empathy for the user. Care about the work we are trying to do here and enjoy the opportunity to influence an industry.
- You have to be an active and open collaborator and communicator, in and outside the team. Verbal and written communication are both highly relevant in what we are doing.
- We value a good theoretical foundation. Never used Python before? Not a problem from our perspective. If you have experience with Ruby, Java, Go, PHP or something similar, you will be up to speed quickly. Much more important is that you have a strong understanding of fundamentals.
- Serve the team. If you plow through the tasks you picked but your team struggles to deliver on another aspect of the sprint, nothing is won.
- Connecting the world's air cargo markets to make them more productive and successful
- Get to know our cargo.one team and find out more about daily challenges, biggest achievements and personal motivations. Paloma, Abdullah, Veit and Siena.
- cargo.one is named one of 20 rising stars as part of Forbes' Cloud 100 list
- Air Cargo Booking Site Gets Bessemer Funds, Plans U.S. Foray
Cargo.one's ambition is to build the global operating system for air cargo. In today's globalized world, air freight impacts every aspect of daily life. However, the air cargo market is far behind the passenger booking experience. We are here to bring the air cargo industry into the 21st century, building a company, from the ground up. Our intuitive digital platform makes booking air cargo simple. cargo.one is the first product to provide real-time visibility of available capacity and prices for freight forwarders to search, compare, book and track, as well as additional quality parameters like temperature control.
We've partnered with global airlines such as Lufthansa, Finnair, AirBridgeCargo, Etihad and ANA while serving a fast-growing number of more than 1500 freight forwarding branches, including players such as Hellmann Worldwide Logistics, Agility Global Integrated Logistics, DACHSER and Flexport, and we are only getting started.
With top-tier investors Index Ventures, Next47, Creandum, and Point Nine Capital on board, we are building the future of air cargo, and digitalizing an industry. We need you to help us shape the future of air freight! At cargo.one we believe that we can only win as a team, and we want you to make an impact with us.
Company name: cargo.one
Remote job title: Backend Engineer
Job tags: marketplace, business services, logistics