Senior Manager, Risk
Remote job description
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn't come with a manual. That's why we're building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes ?" knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry ?" we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We're seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we'll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Trust and Safety Support Operations Team
The Trust and Safety Risk Mitigation team leverages technical, analytical, and operational solutions to promote trust on the Thumbtack platform. We develop cutting-edge strategies to mitigate risks to our users both online and in the real world. Thumbtack's success is dependent on gaining and maintaining the trust of the customers and pros that use our platform.
About the Role
As a leader on our Trust and Safety Risk Mitigation team, you will oversee a team of risk and operations analysts producing cutting-edge predictive analytics, proactive research, and operational analysis with an impact on policies, risk models, engineering rules, and team processes. You will be responsible for supporting strategic planning, improving business processes, ensuring sound data-driven judgments, and project management.
- Be an organized and strategic people leader for a high-performing team of technical and operational analysts that is leading the future of work with a remote-first culture.
- Develop your team to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals through coaching, mentoring, and stretch assignments.
- Establish and manage team processes, provide analytical feedback, ensure relevant project management for new and ongoing projects, and measure team productivity, goal achievement, and effectiveness.
- Create and help drive strategy for proactive risk detection and mitigation. Plan, evaluate, and improve the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance protections for our users and platform through your team.
- Ensure team decisions and policy recommendations are aligned with needs of relevant stakeholders (i.e. engineers, product) and are backed by sound analysis and data.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Engineering, Internal tools, Data, Technical Infrastructure, Product, and other Operations teams to proactively analyze and streamline team processes, improve efficiency, and identify opportunities for automation.
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 3-7 years of experience in people leadership with a track record of hiring and developing great talent across a broad spectrum of geographies while delivering superior results.
- 2+ years of project management experience or experience managing operational and analytic teams.
- Demonstrated track record of developing and implementing initiatives, processes, and structures in collaboration with cross-functional partners to identify and act on ways to enhance risk mitigation.
- Proven experience leveraging data insights to improve opportunities to drive operational scale and automation.
- Previous trust and safety, risk mitigation, or fraud prevention experience.
- Experience navigating Trust and Safety risk at a two-sided marketplace or startup.
- Payment Fraud experience
- Experience managing a remote team
- Tableau Experience
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
#LI-RemoteBenefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and internet
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
- Cell Phone Reimbursement, Thumbtack services (North America only)
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact email@example.com.
*Currently, Thumbtackers can live anywhere in Ontario or British Columbia, Canada or the Philippines or in any of the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, Washington DC. Our long term vision is to hire across all of the United States and Canada, but this expansion will take a few years.
Company name: Thumbtack
Remote job title: Senior Manager, Risk
Job tags: automation, fraud-prevention, project management