Senior Engineering Manager SLO
Remote job description
This is a remote position and we're considering candidates in the US, Canada
About the role:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us grow and develop our Service Level Objectives (SLO) squad. Our managers take an active role in creating a healthy and productive environment for our engineers, through guiding cross-team collaboration, tuning team practices and communication, resolving blockers, and coaching each team member in their development. You'll be responsible for managing a distributed team working access technologies systems and helping them deliver value to Grafana customers
Our department at Grafana builds products to make it easy to detect, respond and learn from incidents with minimal toil. We build integrated alerting, on-call, and incident management products that help teams keep their systems stable and available. Our products are built on top of Grafana's open-source observability platform, and it's important that as we grow, we improve our performance, increase our reliability and delight our users every step of the way.
We've been growing the department in a new area: Service Level Objectives. It's easy to create alerts that fire when something is failing, but that just means it's easy to interrupt on-call engineers for the wrong things and burn them out. Our goal is to guide our users to create alerts and dashboards based on the actual services they care about, managing error budget and risk, so their engineers are getting the right notifications at the right time.
- The core focus of the role is on people management, but you should have enough technical skills/understanding of our stack to manage a highly technical team/product.
- You will act as an execution leader and work with your peers and Grafana Product & UX teams to ensure the roadmap is defined and up-to-date
- You have a strong technical background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenging teams to arrive at strong technical decisions themselves
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product-focussed
- While you're great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with technical trends and shifts to better understand the challenges your team faces
- Ideally you will have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience and have worked as a software engineer before moving into management
- Familiarity with public Cloud and SRE/DevOps concepts & struggles would be a strong advantage
Your day-to-day will include:
- Leading Regular 1:1s to ensure your direct reports are motivated, engaged, and learning
- Coaching and mentoring your direct reports
- Providing continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value while maintaining high standards
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Guiding engineers in effective cross functional collaboration inside and outside the team
- Assisting the team breaking down features into iterative tasks
- Collaborating with Product, UX, leadership and engineers to help define and influence product strategy, roadmaps and technical designs
- Growing the team working with PeopleOps to attract and hire talent
In the United States, the Base (OTE for commission positions) compensation range for this role is $190,000 - $200,000. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience, and skillset as assessed in the interview process. Benefits include equity, bonus (if applicable) and other benefits listed here.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
A note about covid-19: All Grafanistas who wish to attend in-person events or travel for Grafana Labs must be fully-vaccinated.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Senior Engineering Manager SLO
Job tags: Cloud Services, User Experience Design, Team Leadership