Engineering Manager Platform Networking
Remote job description
This is a remote position and we're considering candidates in the US and Canada.
About the role:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to help us grow and develop our Platform department. Our managers take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices. You'll be responsible for managing a team of distributed engineers working across a variety of systems and helping them to perform at their best.
Our Grafana Cloud pipeline moves millions of data points, log lines and traces per second from our customer's environments into a highly available, low-latency stack that processes and stores the data, and serves it to dashboards and alerting tools. We aim to grow this to hundreds of millions per second, and it's critical that as we grow, we improve our performance, increase our reliability and do it all more efficiently.
- The core focus of the role is on people management, but you should have enough technical skill and understanding of our stack to manage a highly technical team
- You have a strong technical background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations, and challenging teams to arrive at strong technical decisions themselves
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product focussed
- While you're great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with the latest technical trends and shifts in order to maintain and enhance your understanding of the challenges your teams face
- Ideally you will have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience, and have worked as a software engineer before moving into management
- You should have production experience with public Cloud infrastructure and/or Kubernetes, and familiarity with their networking components and resources would be a strong advantage
- We work with Go for application and tooling development, Jsonnet for configuration and orchestration management, and Crossplane and Terraform for infrastructure management
- Familiarity with Git, Linux, Grafana and Prometheus would be a strong advantages
Your day-to-day will include:
- Regular 1:1s to ensure your direct reports are motivated, happy and engaged
- Coaching and mentoring of your direct reports
- Providing continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value while maintaining high standards
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Ensuring features are well-defined and ready for development
- Advising your reports on how to break down features into tasks
- Collaborating with our Engineering managers and leaders to help define and influence product strategy, roadmaps and technical designs
- Maintaining headcount by working with our People team to attract and hire talent
This is a remote position. We are looking for candidates in USA timezones.
In the United States, the base compensation range for this role is $173,304- $207,965. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience, and skillset as assessed in the interview. Benefits include equity, bonus (if applicable) and other benefits listed here.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Engineering Manager Platform Networking
Job tags: Linux, Cloud Infrastructure, Terraform