Director, Organizational Development
Remote job description
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn't come with a manual. That's why we're building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes - knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry - we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We're seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we'll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 9 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the People Team
As a People Team, our purpose is to drive the success of the business through the success of our people. Our ambition is to be known as the most impactful, innovative and effective People Team in tech. We seek inspiration in our employee value proposition: Imagine what we'll build together. We push the boundaries of what People teams can achieve through bold ambition, innovation and creativity. We couple that innovative spirit with execution prowess and operational excellence in order to drive transformational change. Finally, we believe that because business and people outcomes are inextricably linked, leaders must be accountable to both. In other words, people outcomes must be Leader Led and People Team enabled. For every process, philosophy and program that we build, we hold all leaders accountable and collaborate with them through deep partnerships across the business.
About the Role
You will be a key leader on the People Partnership & Development Team, owning the strategy, programs and management of the Organizational Development function at Thumbtack. Partnering closely with both the People Team and business leaders, you will have the opportunity to help build a culture that is focused on high performance and reinforced through each person living our values every day.
This role reports to the Head of People Partnership & Development (PPD). PPD also includes HR Business Partners and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, and is responsible for enabling Thumbtack to achieve its business goals by fostering high-performing, engaged, inclusive teams. This role is virtual-first, in line with our Future of Work vision.
- Own the Organizational Development function at Thumbtack, which includes strategy, programs and offerings related to Performance Management, Talent Management and Learning & Development
- Own our performance and talent management infrastructure. This includes implementing our redesigned performance management philosophy and driving company-wide change through projects like updating our leveling architecture and management criteria
- Build and execute an innovative learning and development strategy and set of programs that reinforce our performance philosophies, core values, and business priorities
- Implement new tooling to enable behavior change that supports our strategies and improves OD operations and insights
- Partner with business leaders, HR Business Partners, DEI, People Analytics, Recruiting, HR Ops, Compensation and Benefits to ensure programs are effectively designed and implemented in line with the broader People Team goals
- Monitor and integrate employee sentiment and feedback, organizational trends, and business needs to ensure OD strategy and offerings are tailored accordingly
- Manage a small team, allocating resources and priorities accordingly
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 12+ years of leadership experience in HR, including performance management, learning and development and other OD-related domains
- 3+ years as a people manager
- Experience driving transformational change related to performance and talent management through strategic thinking, rigorous planning, project management and stakeholder engagement
- Experience building or influencing the creation of a learning and development strategy and programming
- Ability to influence at all levels, including senior leadership, through compelling presentations and written/verbal communication skills
- Experience building and leveraging cross-functional partnerships to drive decisions and scale OD offerings
- Ability to use data and insights as central parts of decision-making
Bonus points if you have
- Experience operating with limited resources
- Experience operating in and adapting to a continuously changing environment
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines. Learn more about our virtual-first working model here. #LI-Remote
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $244,800 - $331,200. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
For candidates living in all other US locations, the expected salary range for this role is currently $208,080 - $281,520. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.Benefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Company name: Thumbtack
Remote job title: Director, Organizational Development
Job tags: project management, Strategic Partnerships, Learning and Development