Director of Engineering Grafana Federal Products
Remote job description
This is a 100% remote position and we're only considering candidates in the USA.
About the role:
We are looking for an Engineering Director with experience of deploying and operating FedRAMP accredited products to kickstart our federal products team. Our directors take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through ensuring clarity in business-aligned objectives and goals, removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices. You'll be responsible for hiring and managing a team of distributed engineers, deploying and operating Grafana Labs services in a FedRAMP compatible manner.
Grafana and the LGTM stack continue to be highly successful open source projects and on-premise products popular with the US Government, with over a million instances of our application running in the wild. Grafana is also the main frontend for Grafana Cloud where users can visualize their telemetry data as well as use our opinionated solutions for easier troubleshooting of both their infrastructure and their applications. As our footprint in the US Federal space grows, we want to serve our customers in this space better.
The Federal Products team owns the task of deploying and operating the underlying platform and Grafana Lab's services in a way that combines FedRAMP compliance and accreditation with our unique, vibrant, pro-innovation engineering culture.
- You will have helped bring Fed-oriented SaaS products to market and have experience with FedRAMP standards and operations
- You must be a US citizen and located in the US to be eligible for this role.
- The core focus of the role is on people management and strategy, but you should have enough technical skills/understanding of our stack to manage and challenge a highly technical team and product and help them arrive at strong technical decisions.
- Acting as the product owner to ensure the roadmap is defined,up-to-date and has good product-market fit
- You will have familiarity with public Cloud and/or Kubernetes
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product focussed
- You will have ideally worked as a software engineer prior to moving into management
Your day-to-day will include:
- Helping define the Federal Products strategy with GTM and Corporate Development
- Regular 1:1s, coaching and mentoring to ensure your direct reports are motivated, happy and engaged
- Providing continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value while maintaining high standards
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Ensuring features are well-defined and ready for development and advising helping reports how to break down features
- Collaborating with our Engineering Leaders to help define and influence wider product strategy, roadmaps and designs
- Maintaining headcount by working with our People Ops team to attract and hire talent
Technologies we use
- The major Cloud Service Providers
- Go for application development, Jsonnet, Crossplane and Terraform for configuration and orchestration management
- Git, Kubernetes, Linux, Grafana, Loki, Prometheus
In the United States, the Base (OTE for commission positions) compensation range for this role is $220,000 - $265,000. Actual compensation may vary based on level, experience, and skillset as assessed in the interview process. Benefits include equity, bonus (if applicable) and other benefits listed here.
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Director of Engineering Grafana Federal Products
Job tags: Troubleshooting, infrastructure, Cloud Services