Director of Engineering Grafana
Remote job description
This is a remote position and we're considering candidates in the UK, Sweden, Germany, Spain, and the Netherlands.
About the role:
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager with a distributed systems background to help us grow and develop our Grafana Core Engineering team. Our managers take an active role in creating a productive environment for our engineers; be it through removing blockers and impediments, facilitating cross-team collaboration and understanding, or by aiding the team in helping themselves by constantly improving and refining their working practices. You'll be responsible for managing a team of distributed engineers working across a variety of systems and helping them to perform at their best.
Grafana continues to be a highly successful open source project with over a million instances of our application running in the wild. Grafana is also the main frontend for Grafana Cloud where users can visualize their telemetry data as well as use our opinionated solutions for easier troubleshooting of both their infrastructure and their applications. As our Cloud / Grafana-as-a-service business continues to grow, we've started to change Grafana's core architecture with the goal to be fully multi-tenant and scalable, as well as a solid platform for our opinionated Cloud apps. We're looking for someone who can drive this change and turn Grafana into a proper app platform where OSS as well as proprietary apps can directly tap into dashboards, alerts, incidents, and telemetry, and deliver even more integrated experiences.
- The core focus of the role is on people management but you should have enough technical skills/understanding of our stack to manage a highly technical team/product.
- You will act as project manager as well as working with internal and external product owners to ensure the product roadmap is defined and up-to-date
- You have a strong software engineering background and are capable of engaging in technical conversations and challenging teams to arrive at strong technical decisions themselves
- You will be comfortable working with engineering teams who have a strong sense of autonomy in their decision making, be it technical or product focussed
- While you're great with people and adept at managing relationships, you still keep up-to-date with the latest technical trends and shifts in order to maintain and enhance your understanding of the challenges your teams face
- Ideally you will have a Computer Science degree or equivalent experience and have worked as a Software Engineer before moving into Management
- We work with Go, Python and/or C/C++ for back-end development.
- You will have familiarity with using and building RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with Git, Linux, Prometheus (and/or other monitoring tools) would all be a strong advantage
- Familiarity with public Cloud and/or Kubernetes would be a strong advantage
Your day-to-day will include:
- Regular 1:1s to ensure your direct reports are motivated, happy and engaged
- Coaching and mentoring of your direct reports
- Providing continuous feedback to engineers to ensure that they can add value while maintaining high standards
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Ensuring features are well-defined and ready for development
- Advising your reports on how to break down features into tasks
- Collaborating with our Engineering Leaders to help define and influence product strategy, roadmaps and technical designs
- Maintaining headcount by working with our People Ops team to attract and hire talent
About Grafana Labs: There are more than 950,000 active installations of Grafana around the globe, monitoring everything from beehives to climate change in the Alps. The instantly recognizable dashboards have been spotted everywhere from a NASA launch and Minecraft HQ to Wimbledon and the Tour de France. Grafana Labs also helps companies including Bloomberg, JPMorgan Chase, and eBay manage their observability strategies with full-stack offerings that can be run fully managed with Grafana Cloud, or self-managed with Grafana Enterprise Stack. The Grafana stack has grown to include four other open source projects, Grafana Loki (for logs), Grafana Tempo (for traces), Grafana Mimir (for metrics), and Grafana OnCall (for on-call management).
Benefits: For more information about the perks and benefits of working at Grafana, please check out our careers page.
Equal Opportunity Employer: At Grafana Labs we're building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and do their best work. We know that our company runs on the hard work and the dedication of our passionate and creative employees. If you're excited about this role but your experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways.
We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we're working hard to make sure that's the foundation of our organisation as we grow.
Company name: Grafana Labs
Remote job title: Director of Engineering Grafana
Job tags: Python, Team Leadership, EMEA