Remote job description
We're looking for a Country Manager to join our growing Banking teaminBrussels. This role is a unique opportunity to have an impact onWise's mission, grow as a product leader and help save millions more people money.
Wise has already pioneered new ways for people to transfer money across borders and currencies. Our customers can also manage their hard-earned money with the world's first platform to offer true multi-currency banking.
People and businesses all over the world use Wise to avoid big bank fees and slow international wires when they send, spend, and receive money abroad. We have over 12 million customers who move ?6 billion every month with us. We help them save ?3 million in bank fees every day.
Our payment connections with banks, payment systems and other providers ensure the quality of our product and a large part of its economics. And our relationships with regulators, governments and payment systems are crucial too. So, we're on the hunt for an executor with a brilliant mind and strong communication skills to help more customers save money with us.
Here's how you'll be contributing to EU Banking
- Be a key, credible interface with both our regulator and the board of Wise Europe and be ultimately accountable so that Wise EU can demonstrate good governance.
- Showcase strategy, provide guidance and alignment amongst the various functions responsible for ensuring the good health of the entity (various compliance and operations teams, SLA monitoring teams, risk, policy, board of directors, etc).
- Make operational choices (providing additional decision making bandwidth for choices which do not necessarily require product managers).
Practically this could mean:
Regulator Interaction & Governance
- Be involved in or aware of all regulator interactions.
- Ensure that the team interacting with the regulator always has sufficient context and provides a high quality, coherent interaction.
- Ensure that we have a clear governance approach which we can evidence, and that each function contributes to this. E.g. ensure that we have functional, value-adding risk ceremonies.
- Work closely with compliance teams on an addressing any regulatory findings to ensure a high standard of regulatory compliance
- Ensure we have a clear coherent regulator relationship strategy and that we have a clear coherent strategy for positioning ourselves in the industry (among law enforcement authorities, industry bodies, etc).
Leadership, Strategy, Alignment
- Manage (upwards) the board of directors of Wise EU. Be the go-to person that the board holds accountable for Product organisation, representing the first line of defence to the board
- Be the senior point of contact for the entire Brussels team and responsible for maintaining Wise's values in Brussels
- Ensure product changes affecting European customers are documented to ensure appropriate local governance
- Make operational choices relating to Wise in Europe - this would depend on the situation and would be made in collaboration with the wider team. These could include, for example -
- Reviewing and expediting choices affecting EU customers
- Attending monthly service reviews, influencing global operations teams to keep services within SLA and analyse the situation / influence these teams should this not be the case.
- Act as the executive agent should we face an incident, especially those which require decision making, project management, and configuration changes rather than development - e.g. assisting with planning should we be faced with a new sanctions change
This role will give you the opportunity to:
- Choose your path to impact - we believe people are most empowered when they can act autonomously. So rather than telling you what to do, you'll work with your team to create a vision of your own. Of course, you can always gather feedback from smart, curious people across Wise but you'll have the freedom to make your own calls
- Grow as a leader - Build your team and inspire them to join our mission
- Be part of our mission to make money without borders the new normal
- Comfortable operating in a regulated environment, understanding that regulatory interpretation guides many decision making processes
- Able to get into operational detail of products and ways of working to optimise both at the operational level and at the more strategic (customer) level
- Able to work closely with compliance teams, to ensure we align both on the regulatory and product level
- Understanding of various risks which present themselves in a payment product such as operational risk, financial crime, AML etc
- Ability to influence both internally (product teams, banking teams, compliance teams) as well as externally (NBB, board, customers, suppliers)
We're people without borders - without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you're passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you'll fit right in.
Also, where and what you studied isn't important to us. If you've got great experience, the right skills for the role and you're great at articulating your thinking, we'd like to hear from you.
And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we'd especially love to hear from you if you're from an under-represented demographic.
Company name: Wise
Remote job title: Country Manager
Job tags: marketplace, fintech, forex, sharing economy