Senior Counsel, Digital Media & Marketing
Remote job description
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we're building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you're ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There's no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work - whether it's from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop - while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE JOB
As Senior Counsel, Digital Media & Marketing you'll work closely with our Marketing team to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. You'll be drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial arrangements with partners.
You'll also be providing sound legal advice to clients with respect to commercial terms, business operations, and product development. You'll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution.
We're looking for an attorney who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities. You must have the ability to operate independently and work proactively with various teams across the organization.
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customer that is absolutely magical. Join us!
What You'll Be Doing
- Providing proactive and pragmatic legal counsel regarding general corporate and commercial matters relating to advertising/promotions, such as drafting integrated marketing, promotions, and technology agreements, provide guidance on marketing claims and substantiation for labels, omnichannel marketing (including social and digital media, endorsements, user-generated content), sweepstakes, promotions, and other day to day marketing and promotional activities
- Draft, negotiate, and implement major partner agreements
- Lead and take charge of special legal projects from start to finish
- Acting as a business partner and trusted advisor, providing direct legal counsel to Marketing, stakeholders to support timely strategic and commercial business decisions
- Remain up to date on relevant industry, advertising, consumer protection, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Draft terms, policies, and disclosures, and create and implement related processes and best practices
- Create and update form legal agreements
- Distill and explain complex issues in a meaningful and effective way to a variety of cross-functional stakeholders
- Train clients and colleagues on various legal issues
- Serve as subject matter expert on marketing matters impacting Instacart's key initiatives
- Will collaborate and work with Marketing on all product innovation and product launches;
- This is a hands-on role, requiring a willingness to roll up one's sleeves and bring a team-centric and collaborative attitude to their role
- Consistently solutions-oriented and outcome-driven, must be flexible to adopt and prioritize their activities to mirror the needs of the organization
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Go Far Together, Roll Up Your Sleeves, Grow the Pie, Put It All on the Table, and Serve Generously. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience working at a leading law firm or in-house legal department, with a minimum of 3 years material focus on marketing (in-house experience, especially at a tech company or retailer or a CPG, a plus)
- Strong knowledge of marketing, advertising and intellectual property law, advertising standards, FTC rulings and guidelines, BBB, NAD, etc.
- A strong history of managing partner negotiations and contract drafting from start to finish
- Strong negotiation presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high priority, competing priorities
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive to results
- Experience with legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce spaces, particularly in privacy and data security laws (including GDPR and CCPA/CPRA), healthcare law, pharmaceutical law, alcohol law, and/or payments law a plus
- A team player
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
OR, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, RI, VT, DC, PA, VA, CO, TX, IL, HI
All other states
Company name: Instacart
Remote job title: Senior Counsel, Digital Media & Marketing
Job tags: Team Leadership, e-commerce, ccpa