GM of New Verticals
Remote job description
Pilot has significant traction with startups and technology companies. We deeply understand these customers and have built a product that startups know and love. However, the vision for Pilot is not to be the financial back office for startups, it's to be the financial back office for every company. We believe the best way to do this is by expanding in a vertical-specific way, because each verticals have different buyer behavior, go-to-market motions, product needs, and willingness to pay.
We're looking for someone to be the General Manager of our New Verticals effort at Pilot. You'll report directly to the CEO, and will have broad authority over our pursuit of new verticals expansion. Each vertical we pursue will have a Vertical Lead, reporting to you, who you'll work closely with to ensure we're achieving our goals. The objective is to make significant revenue progress in multiple verticals on the timescale of 3-4 quarters.
We have nascent efforts in several verticals: we have one Vertical Lead who heads up our efforts in consumer goods & retail, and two open roles for other verticals we're excited to explore. Your role will involve working closely with the existing team to accelerate their efforts, while also kickstarting new efforts. You'll need to take on a diverse set of work in a self-starting manner. The role may involve joining sales calls, sketching out marketing collateral, hiring people and teams, and doing whatever is necessary to make these initiatives work. You'll have the opportunity to flex both strategic and operational muscles, and think short- and long-term every day.
At the highest level, the objective is simple: help Pilot grow revenue in new verticals, ensuring that the customer experience is world-class. Of course, "simple" does not mean "easy," and to do that will require some of the items below:
- Market sizing and analysis: thoughtfully identify and aggressively execute a plan to grow in the verticals we think are most promising
- Hiring: Hire and guide an initial team tasked with pursuing each vertical
- Top of funnel marketing: in conjunction with the vertical lead, identify scalable sources of good leads, and execute campaigns to drive lead generation
- Customer acquisition: assist with the sales process throughout the funnel, including leading sales calls with prospects when it makes sense
- Retention and account management: working closely with our verticals leads to support Pilot clients with industry-specific expertise
- Operations: be the internal champion for our new verticals, identifying and articulating process changes needed to better serve our clients
- You're an ex-startup founder, or you have 7+ years work experience, with an analytical/quantitative or strategy background, ideally at a B2B SaaS startup
- Strong "general athlete" who thrives in a dynamic, cross-functional role that requires both long-term strategic thinking and day-to-day execution
- Excellent strategic thinking chops backed by strong quantitative skillset
- Strong communication skills with the ability to distill complex issues into structured frameworks and concrete action plans
- Highly entrepreneurial and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with minimal guidance
Pilot launched in 2017 to bring the back office into the modern era. Pilot provides small businesses with dedicated finance experts - which Pilot hires as full-time, U.S.-based employees - who learn the ins-and-outs of their business. Pilot integrates directly with the billing, banking, expense, and payroll systems customers already use. With a special blend of custom software and expert bookkeepers, Pilot delivers accurate, consistent bookkeeping and financial management and tax services that give entrepreneurs the freedom to focus on their business.
Pilot has over 1,000 customers and has raised over $170 million in financing from Sequoia, Index Ventures, Stripe, Bezos Expeditions, and Whale Rock. Our investors also include a long list of world-class entrepreneurs, including Patrick and John Collison, Drew Houston, and Diane Greene. Our most recent funding round doubled our valuation to $1.2 billion - Meet Fintech's Newest Unicorn.
- We invest in our employees' development and happiness because our employees are the keys to our success and ensuring happy customers
- The opportunity to join a seasoned founding team that has led companies through two prior successful startups and acquisitions (by Oracle and Dropbox).
- Flexible vacation/time-off policy
- All federal holidays are observed
- Competitive benefits package including wellness benefits such as Modern Health, Headscape, One Medical, Aaptiv and Rightway
- Parental leave for birthing or non-birthing parents - 100% pay for 12 weeks
- 401(k) plan
Pilot commits to provide a work environment free of discrimination and harassment, as well as equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. You may view all of Pilot's recruiting notices here, including our EEO policy, recruitment agency policy, recruitment scam notice, and important E-Verify information.
Company name: Pilot
Remote job title: GM of New Verticals
Job tags: saas / subscription, business services, software
location or timezone
posted392 days ago