Remote job description
At Retool, we're changing the way software is built. We've developed the fastest way to build internal tools, saving companies time, resources, and engineering bandwidth. Whether it's refunding orders, underwriting loans, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, analyzing transactions, or providing customer support, Retool makes it dramatically faster and easier to build internal tools that teams need. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster building a lot more software. We're looking for highly collaborative people as we build a world-class team to support this mission and we'd love for you to join us!
DESIGN AT RETOOL
Retool designers are a mix of creative optimists, systems-thinkers, and tinkerers across product and brand that work together to solve some of the trickiest problems in software. Instead of designing just one product, Retool designers effectively design unique software products for thousands of companies across many different verticals.
This also presents a unique design challenge. Because it's possible to build nearly anything in Retool, we don't have absolute control over how our users experience the product and are constantly seeking the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
We're still a relatively small team, so there's plenty of room to grow and your opportunity for impact is huge. We're looking for highly-motivated, collaborative designers to join us as we build a world-class team to rethink the way the world builds software.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We're looking for an Art Director to help establish and scale how Retool's brand is expressed through all channels with a primary focus on campaigns and events. You'll collaborate with teams across Retool to craft creative experiences that push our brand and business into the future. This role will work closely with our Head of Brand Design to define how we creatively express Retool's story and product to current and future customers. Whether it's a simple digital campaign or a fully integrated marketing experience, you'll play a key role in defining how we strategically build a cohesive visual language.
This role requires someone who can be hands-on in the production of work, with the ability to guide and mentor others, understanding when to own work versus overseeing it to optimize for the best possible output.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL
- Partner with design, marketing and engineering to create an extraordinary brand experience for Retool - from launching new products, to pioneering groundbreaking brand experiences.
- Work cross-functionally across the business to conceptualize and execute creative solutions to maintain an integrated brand experience.
- Collaborate with creative leadership to establish how Retool's visual identity is strategically expressed across all channels.
- Champion the brand and ensure that design is applied consistently across all aspects of the business.
- Partner with the brand team, vendors and agencies on elevating our overall creative execution and production quality.
- Work closely with the brand team, vendors, and agencies to ensure that our work stands out in the market and creates a consistent visual brand.
- Design through iteration, experimentation and learned user behaviors.
- Be an active participant in design at Retool, providing thoughtful feedback across design and product teams in critiques, reviews, and more.
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING
- Minimum of 8 years of experience in-house or at an agency with at least 5 years working on digital and interactive projects.
- Experience and understanding of the formal elements of graphic design - including typography, color, layout, and composition.
- A proven track record of mentoring other designers and successfully leading a team of creatives or external vendors on a project.
- Passion for developing unique, inventive brand ideas, demonstrable through a portfolio of strong work in a variety of contexts and execution.
- A curiosity to stay educated on the latest design technologies and techniques, tempered by a desire to establish an original, opinionated style - not follow trends.
- Successful track record of collaborating with design, marketing, and engineering partners to translate user needs, business goals, marketing insights, and project constraints into informed design output.
- Ability to independently prioritize work based on project objectives and business goals, and thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment.
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
Company name: Retool
Remote job title: Art Director
Job tags: Brand Design, Underwriting, marketplace