Senior Employment Counsel
Remote job description
At Scale, we believe that AI will dramatically improve the world, and our mission is to accelerate the development of AI.
At Scale, our mission is to accelerate the development of AI. We are hiring our first employment attorney to take responsibility for employment legal matters, including providing strategic advice on employment issues to lead business partners and HR, developing and implementing employment policies, drafting and negotiating employment-related agreements, and more. You will join a creative and solutions-oriented team collaborating with internal teams at Scale and externally with our customers and partners and advisors. We are looking for relentlessly curious, deliberately open-minded, and action-oriented lawyers who can design effective legal advice, internal policies, and operational processes while employing an empathetic interpersonal style. This position can be located in San Francisco, Washington DC, or Remote.
- Advise and provide strategic support to HR and business leaders on complicated hires, employee terminations, reorganizations, mergers & acquisitions, and other employment-related matters
- Counsel on day-to-day employment related matters across Scale's employee and contingent workforces including human resources issues, wage and hour law, workers compensation, unemployment and other state agency claims, employee benefits, employment agreements and policy related issues, FMLA & ADA matters, and employment related litigation
- Manage external counsel for employment related matters in all of Scale's international locations
- Draft and negotiate employment-related agreements, including severance agreements
- Develop, implement, and review workplace policies, processes, guidance and templates (subject to local law and practice) for both employee and contingent workforces
- Partner with HR, IT, Security, and Operations teams to evaluate international expansion opportunities, build new international presences, and build HR compliance in new and existing international locations
- Monitor legislation, regulations, case law, and government enforcement activities related to the above substantive legal areas and provide proactive strategic advice to General Counsel and business
- Lead complex and time sensitive projects and coordinate internal stakeholders and external advisors
- Support Scale-wide learning initiatives including to deliver training on employment-related topics, taking account of changes to the law, best practice and Scale's values and culture
Ideally you'd have:
- JD and license to practice law in good standing in at least one state
- At least 6+ years providing employment and labor law advice (a mix of in house and law firm experience is preferred, and title will be commensurate with experience)
- Wide array of experience across employment counseling, including policy development, conducting internal investigations, contingent workforce risk management, employee privacy issues, and litigation risk assessment
- Familiarity with employment laws, with ability and desire to develop subject matter expertise on various employment law topics
- Experience and familiarity with global workforces and expansion, such as advising on using PEO/EOR structures and set-up of employment law support for new subsidiaries
- Excellent research and analysis skills, able to distill complex legal issues, think strategically, and provide sound, clear legal advice to Legal, HR, and the Business
- Strong strategic negotiation, creative problem solving, and consensus building skills
- Ability to communicate complex subject matter simply and understandably at all levels, from employees to the Board
- Roll-up your sleeves attitude to tackle projects large and small and a collaborative, low-ego approach to collaborating across the organization
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-energy environment, and capable of navigating ambiguity
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. government security clearance
Nice to haves:
- Experience as first employment counsel at a fast-growing tech startup
- Working with global contractor workforces
- Experience with OFCCP compliance and audits
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how machine learning can build innovative products. Our products provide access to human-powered data for hundreds of use cases and are used by industry leaders such as Open AI, Lyft, GM, Samsung, Airbnb, NVIDIA, and many more. We've recently raised $325 million in Series E funding at a valuation of $7B+ and are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
Company name: Scale
Remote job title: Senior Employment Counsel
Job tags: api, software