Head of Legal
Remote job description
In less than a year, Sylvera has built a partnership with NASA, secured investment from Europe's top VC fund Index Ventures, and built an extraordinary team.
Sylvera is bringing clarity to the opaque voluntary carbon markets by using satellite data, machine learning algorithms, and deep analytical capacity to accurately assess the performance of carbon offset projects. This clarity helps scale a global market primed for exponential growth in the coming 10 years.
What's my impact?
As Sylvera's Head of Legal you will have the opportunity to:
- Build an entirely new function in a rapidly scaling start-up environment. You will be responsible for setting the foundations of Sylvera's legal function. You will work closely with Sam (our COO) and Matt (our Head of Operations and Strategy) as you build the foundations for Sylvera's scale and impact.
- Build out Sylvera's compliance and regulatory function, including developing Sylvera's regulatory strategy and where necessary leading Sylvera's engagement with regulators (including the FCA and SEC).
- Negotiate and maintain novel partnership agreements with Sylvera's exciting partners, together with managing (and where required negotiate) Sylvera's standard SaaS terms and conditions.
- Actively manage Sylvera's legal risk exposure, including litigation and compliance risk and the maintenance of appropriate insurance policies.
- Construct legal structures for Sylvera's 'public good' work and contracting with public and multilateral institutions.
- Build out Sylvera's internal corporate governance, supplier and employment contracting procedures (including the management of Sylvera's option schemes), and its data and IP protection and management.
- Manage the legal aspects of Sylvera's fundraising processes (including both dilutive and non-dilutive funding)
What do I need
- Between 3 and 8 years PQE (as a guide), having trained at a top-tier law firm
- UK qualified lawyer with active practising certificate
- Someone with a great team ethic and a focus on solving problems, not dwelling on mistakes
- Enthusiastic about working closely with a proudly diverse group of internal clients who are experts in their fields (yet humble!)
- To care about the future of the planet - you want to solve climate change in the most high leverage way possible.
- You must be capable of operating in a fast-moving startup context, with a high degree of autonomy.
- Experience working with the Voluntary Carbon Markets would be helpful.
- We'd like someone highly ambitious, motivated and eager to propel their career forward (albeit tempered with humility and a willingness to learn from others). We prioritise grit, positivity, and the willingness to get stuck in, and encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn't exactly match this job description
Equal Employment Opportunity
Sylvera is an equal opportunity employer, we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Competitive Salary + Equity. Dependent on experience.
You also get paid to save the world, which is nice. You will have the opportunity to work alongside an amazing team, with a 50/50 gender balance and 12 nationalities based across the globe.Summary
Company name: Sylvera
Remote job title: Head of Legal
Job tags: saas / subscription