Country Risk Officer
Remote job description
Wise was founded in 2011 with a clear mission - money without borders - instant, convenient, transparent, and eventually free. We've built a market-leading technology product that's been used by over 5 million people to move money around the world without the rip-off fees charged by the banks. We're disrupting the world of currency and international money transfer. We are growing rapidly around the world and need to make sure that we have the best setup to support that growth in every region. You will help to shape the future of Wise in North America.
As part of this role, you will work with the NorthAm team to support them in understanding risks they are facing with the product in the region and how to mitigate those risks, while they seek new opportunities to grow the business. The role will also be part of a wider group of risk experts dotted around the world, meaning there is great opportunity to support the growth of risk management across the company.
What will you be doing?
- Deploy the company risk management approach in the US and Canada. You will ensure we have mapped all our processes and completed the internal risk assessments, and work closely with the US Product and Operational teams to promote creative solutions on how we can effectively mitigate the identified risks in the entity.
- You will be responsible for the design and roll out of all the risk management policies for North America, starting by the US entity, considering financial and non-financial risks. This means you will be responsible for drafting new policies, reviewing and updating existing policies, and ensuring these policies are maintained on an ongoing basis according to local regulation and company level standards.
- You will implement monitoring procedures to guarantee adherence to group risk policies and share findings with relevant members in the US and in the Group Risk Team.
- You will provide recommendations and track actions for improving adherence with these policies. This will require close collaboration across various teams both in the US as well as in the rest of Wise. You will report material findings to senior management within Wise.
- You will help embed a good risk culture in the business in the US, promoting risk awareness, in line with the three lines of defence model. Where necessary, you will coordinate and/or conduct training for relevant Wisers.
- Where relevant, you will take part in the relationship with the regulators and senior management to communicate our risk position and risk management approach.
- You will act as a liaison between other internal control teams and external parties for the purpose of audits and monitoring engagements.
This role would suit someone who has:
- At least 5 years experience in mid-senior level risk management and working in an international setting.
- Experience in aligning to the other key risks across the risk taxonomy, including operational, financial and strategic risk as well as intersecting risks.
- Good understanding of systems, management information, and reporting systems.
- Ability to represent Wise US in a professional manner to all internal (e.g. management) and external (e.g. regulatory authorities) stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of second line of defence independence and challenge/ escalation where concerns are felt.
- Understanding of risk and regulations in the US, and know how to translate that regulation into risk management practices.
- Effective in change impact, liaison with other functions.
- Able to get stuff done - we're a fast growing company and you will need an entrepreneurial mindset to thrive.
- Can work independently and flexibly within a fast-moving environment.
It would be ideal, but not essential if you:
- Have 5-10 years' experience in business and risk with a deep enterprise risk knowledge base;
- Have specific experience in risk strategy and enterprise risk practice whilst also able to build 2nd line methodologies for monitoring and reporting on business risk management;
- Meaningful experience working with external third parties, e.g., regulators, rating agencies, banks, external auditors, consulting firms.
- We're people without borders - without judgement or prejudice, too. We want to work with the best people, no matter their background. So if you're passionate about learning new things and keen to join our mission, you'll fit right in.
- Also, qualifications aren't that important to us. If you've got great experience, and you're great at articulating your thinking, we'd like to hear from you.
- And because we believe that diverse teams build better products, we'd especially love to hear from you if you're from an under-represented demographic.
Company name: Wise
Remote job title: Country Risk Officer
Job tags: marketplace, fintech, forex, sharing economy