Director of Finance and Accounting
Remote job description
At Chainguard, we are on a mission to secure the software supply chain by default. We are choosing to do this the right way, which is the hard way. Some have even called us "the Justice League of security." Our team is founded by the industry's leading experts on open source software, security and cloud native development and is backed by Sequoia, Amplify Partners, the Chainsmokers and more. Chainguard's product portfolio includes Chainguard Enforce, Chainguard Images and Professional Services. Customers range from Fortune 500 companies in banking, fintech, government and infrastructure to startups and SMBs. Join us as we help organizations secure their software supply chain from source to production.
We live and breathe our company values:
We are customer obsessed - Our true advantage is the strength of our relationships with customers through collaboration, empathy, and responsiveness. We establish trust as we educate, advocate, and listen to their needs. Our focus is on delivering solutions to our customers that create value and make their lives better.
We have a bias for intentional action - We're a start-up and we need to move fast. However we need to move fast through intentional action to make sure we're able to deliver quickly and efficiently on what is most impactful to our collective success. We prioritize, plan, try things, and fail fast. We think about how what we do impacts other teams and communicate our progress - owning the whole solution from start to finish. If we move fast enough, we can make two or three mistakes, learn, and correct them before competitors even make their first decision.
We don't take ourselves too seriously (but we do serious work) - Though we are solving an important problem which takes focus and a degree of seriousness, we don't take ourselves too seriously while we do. We laugh, have fun, embrace uniqueness, and enjoy the journey. Together.
We trust each other and assume good intentions - We hire great team members and trust them to do their work. We're transparent with data, news, and decisions - positive or negative - to empower team members to make well informed decisions. Showing up for each other fully means we celebrate each other's accomplishments as well as give compassionate direct feedback when needed. We always default to assuming good intentions.
The role, in a nutshell:
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Director of Finance and Accounting to oversee all finance, accounting, payroll, and financial reporting activities.The Director of Finance and Accounting leads all day-to-day finance and accounting operations and ensures that Chainguard has the financial systems and procedures in place to support organizational goals and drive the financial success of the company.
What you'll do:
- Oversee all financial operations, including cash flow analysis, P&L, cost accounting, forecasting, financial modeling, and financial analysis
- Develop and maintain financial policies and procedures to ensure compliance with accounting standards and regulations
- Work closely with department leaders to develop annual planning, budgeting, and expense tracking
- Provide financial analysis and guidance to senior management to support decision-making
- Develop and maintain relationships with external stakeholders, including auditors, banks, and investors
- Develop and implement internal controls to ensure the accuracy and integrity of financial reporting
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices to ensure the company remains competitive
- Assist with tax documentation preparation
- Conduct financial audits and coordinate external audits, as needed
What we're looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, or related field
- CPA required
- 10+ years of combined experience in public accounting and industry, with at least 2 years in a leadership role
- Strong knowledge of financial reporting and GAAP
- Experience with cash flow analysis, P&L, cost accounting, forecasting, financial modeling, and financial analysis
- Excellent communication and cross-functional collaboration skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and QuickBooks Online
- Experience working with and managing outsourced accounting teams
- Experience in building and scaling a full finance and accounting function is highly desirable
- Experience working in a startup or high impact, outcome-driven environment, within the technology industry is preferred
- Big 4 experience a plus
Base Salary Range: $175,000 - $225,000
A few of the benefits we offer:
- Equity/stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- Remote work with flexible coworking and team meetup opportunities
- Home office and internet stipend
- 100% health/dental/vision insurance coverage for you and your family
If your experience is close but doesn't fulfill all requirements, please apply. Chainguard is on a mission to build the best team. To achieve our goal, we are focused on hiring "Guardians'' with unique backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences.
Chainguard is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, reproductive health decisions, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
Company name: Chainguard
Remote job title: Director of Finance and Accounting
Job tags: forecasting, Big 4, Cross-functional Team Leadership