Staff Infrastructure Engineer
Remote job description
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we've grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
About the role:
We are hiring for a Staff Infrastructure Engineer who will go beyond provisioning to deliver frictionless experiences to our internal clients (developers!) while maintaining operational excellence and production uptime. The Infrastructure team strives to reduce the cognitive load on Engineering teams by providing an underlying infrastructure platform that is reliable, stable, observable, highly consistent, and easy to reason about. While the ultimate goal is 100% self-service, the steps toward it have included improving processes and cross-team interactions, documentation, templates and modules, and other affordances to increase developer velocity.
As a Staff Engineer, you are a mentor and leader on the team who should have strong opinions (weakly held) about how we can best reduce friction and increase Engineering speed while maintaining reliability. For an example of what it looks like for Infrastructure to collaborate cross-functionally at dbt Labs, check out this article about the Seemingly easy, but in reality hard challenge a dev team faces when executing millions of production dbt runs - and the satisfaction of improving the experience!
Our upcoming challenges include: horizontal scaling via Cell-based architecture, and cross-cloud consistency as we deliver a unified dbt Cloud experience regardless of client preference for AWS or Azure.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Design infrastructure systems with parity across tenancy models (single vs multi) and public clouds (AWS and Azure)
- Leverage tools/languages such as Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, Azure, Python, Bash, Helm, ArgoCD, Go
- Act as a coach and mentor for Infrastructure Engineers and help level up the team with your experience and mentorship
- Partner with dev teams to create infrastructure solutions that result in real customer value - for example smoothly running over 10M dbt jobs a month or helping improve IDE performance
- Help create a great developer experience while working with our close partners in Architecture, SRE, Release Engineering, and Security
- Participate in a balanced on-call rotation in an environment that values continuous improvement, and help to upgrade our tooling and reduce toil
You are a good fit if you have:
- Experience with the tools and languages in our stack, especially including - AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, Python, and Bash
- Experience supporting a B2B SaaS product in AWS
- Experience refining large cloud infrastructure projects and breaking them down into manageable parts
- Including architectural aspects like future maintainability, cross-cloud abstractions, deciding self-managed vs PaaS components, etc
- A demonstrated track record of partnering with teammates to promote their growth, through mentorship, pairing, etc
- Are opinionated on how to address and reduce operational toil incrementally
- Worked asynchronously as part of a fully-remote, distributed team
You'll have an edge if you have:
- Prior experience in multiple clouds, especially AWS and Azure
- More extensive Kubernetes administration and troubleshooting background
- 8+ years experience in Infrastructure Engineering
- Minimum requirement of Bachelors degree in related field (computer science, computer engineering, etc.) OR
- Completed enrollment in engineering related bootcamp OR
- Completed enrollment in related bootcamp
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: $200K-$250K
- Equity Stake
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with a Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with Hiring Manager (Technical Interview Prompt)
- Four 45-min Team Interviews (1:1s) that cover the following:
- Technical Skills (Architecture) Interview
- Cross-functional Collaboration Interview
- Systems Design Interview
- Coding Challenge Interview
- Values interview with the Director of Infrastructure
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself - not just analytics tools - will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We're backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.Privacy Notice
Supplement to Privacy Notice - Californians
Supplement to Privacy Notice - EEA/UK
Company name: dbt Labs
Remote job title: Staff Infrastructure Engineer
Job tags: Software as a Service, Release Engineering, Developer Experience