Staff DevOps Engineer
Remote job description
Who We Are
Motive builds technology to improve the safety, productivity, and profitability of businesses that power the physical economy. The Motive Automated Operations Platform combines IoT hardware with AI-powered applications to automate vehicle and equipment tracking, driver safety, compliance, maintenance, spend management, and more. Motive serves more than 120,000 businesses, across a wide range of industries including trucking and logistics, construction, oil and gas, food and beverage, field service, agriculture, passenger transit, and delivery.
Motive is proud to be a Forbes Cloud 100 company and a 2020 Career-Launching Company by Wealthfront.
About the Role
As the Lead Engineer on the Developer Productivity team, you will spearhead the effort to build systems and automation that are the development, build, and delivery backbone of the Motive platform. With a focus on secure and highly scalable distributed services, you will leverage technology such as Kubernetes, Argo CD, Prow, Bazel, Nix, and whatever the future may hold to advance an automated and easy to use and maintain ecosystem to support Golang, Ruby on Rails, and Python services. If creating direction for and implementing top-tier development tools, automation, infrastructure, and release pipelines, while providing guidance and mentorship to fellow engineers excites you, then Motive has the perfect role for you.
What You'll Do
- Help define the direction and initiatives for the team and platform.
- Build the strategy towards fully automated bootstrapping and delivery.
- Progress and evangelize self-service engineering technologies and approaches.
- Advance the local development experience while maintaining consistency.
- Build infrastructure that enables fast, robust automated testing and validation.
- Improve the performance and reliability of existing systems.
- Host Brown Bag sessions, demos, and more to drive adoption and collaboration.
- Coach and mentor team engineers.
What We're Looking For
We are looking for someone with advanced knowledge and experience in creating and improving systems that will help the engineering org to function more efficiently. This individual will have prior experience in some or all of the following:
- Building CI/CD infrastructure.
- Improving the release process.
- Streamlining microservice creation mechanisms.
- Streamlining developer's local environments.
- Git flow and versioning strategy expertise.
- Working with mechanisms that facilitate reproducible builds across the org.
- Practicing and advocating for best engineering practices throughout the org.
- Experience improving the developer experience with multiple stakeholders in a large organization.
- Experience in Golang, Ruby on Rails, Python or similar language.
- Working knowledge of AWS services and technologies.
- Experience with infrastructure as code and configuration management (Terraform, Nix, Ansible, etc.)
- Experience with large scale distributed release management processes. Experience with Bazel is a plus.
- Experience in a containerized world with orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes.
- 5+ years engineering experience
- Creating a diverse and inclusive workplace is one of Motive's core values. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- Please do not let an arrest or conviction record prevent you from applying for employment at Motive. Motive considers qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
Company name: Motive
Remote job title: Staff DevOps Engineer
Job tags: license fees, business services, mobility
location or timezone
categoryDevOps and SysAdmin
posted345 days ago