Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Remote job description
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn't come with a manual. That's why we're building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes - knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry - we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We're seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we'll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Engineering Team
At Thumbtack, engineers at every level build products and systems that directly impact our customers and professionals. Our challenges span a wide variety of areas, ranging from building search and booking experiences, to optimizing pricing systems, to building tools to help professionals grow their businesses. We believe in tackling these hard problems together as a team, with strong values around collaboration, ownership and transparency. To read more about the hard problems that our team is taking on, visit our engineering blog.
About the Role
Our Infrastructure Engineering team is a hybrid of software, system, and site reliability engineering. Our mission is to design Thumbtack's next version of the core operations infrastructure. In this role you will be an integral part in designing high performance, high availability, and high throughput systems with the goal of minimizing service interruption, downtime, and latency. You will be part of a collaborative culture that succeeds together and requires bringing your authentic self.
The platform team at Thumbtack is building the next iteration developer experience in the business that enables the entire engineering organization to thrive. Infrastructure engineering plays a key role up and down the stack to enable this transition as we strive to boost organizational productivity and velocity.
- Design, create, and maintain software to improve the availability, scalability, and efficiency of Thumbtack's services
- Set the architectural direction of infrastructure and platform teams while supporting the engineering organization
- Design and implement tools and processes used for deployment, change management, and incident response
- Own, maintain, and continuously improve all systems provided as a service, such as monitoring, log aggregation, and datastores
- Engage in service capacity planning and demand forecasting, anticipating performance bottlenecks
- Participate in rotating on-call duties
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- Minimum of 5 years of industry experience in systems engineering, software engineering, or equivalent
- Demonstrated knowledge of AWS and pre-requisite fundamentals
- Expertise in designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting large-scale distributed systems
- Experience operating cloud-based services at scale
- Demonstrable knowledge of docker, dockerfiles, container management and orchestration, and service mesh
- Track record of managing projects while communicating with stakeholders
- Understanding of customer-centric design and development
- Experience working with GCP
- Infrastructure as Code / Everything as code
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Company name: Thumbtack
Remote job title: Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Job tags: Java, PHP, Distributed Systems