Senior Cloud Engineer MySQL Focus
Remote job description
Contrast Security is the world's leading provider of security technology that enables software applications to protect themselves against cyberattacks, heralding the new era of self-protecting software. Contrast's patented deep security instrumentation is the breakthrough technology that enables highly accurate assessment and always-on protection of an entire application portfolio, without disruptive scanning or expensive security experts. Only Contrast has sensors that work actively inside applications to uncover vulnerabilities, prevent data breaches, and secure the entire enterprise from development, to operations, to production.
About the Position
As a member of the Cloud Engineering team, you are part of a team responsible for ensuring availability, reliability, responsiveness and scalability across all Contrast production services. You are deeply hands-on with our cloud-based infrastructure, database systems, automation, monitoring and systems telemetry. You work with our engineering team to design and build system infrastructure that is automated, elastic, and reliable. You support our databases in such a way that our colleagues in application engineering see you as a reliable subject matter expert for performance, modeling and data integrity. In a teammate, we expect you to challenge conventional wisdom and encourage everyone to have simpler solutions. It is your nature to share what you know so that everyone you encounter is just a bit better at using MySQL. Ideal candidates have expertise in maintaining and improving the use of MySQL. You'll work with these systems through infrastructure as code using Terraform, Cloudformation and Helm Charts. All of our work is currently done in the AWS ecosystem. Cloudformation will leave our stack this year.
Traveling to an off-site event may be happen on an annual basis but this can be a fully remote position anywhere in the U.S.
- Operate, tune and improve multiple RDS instances (MySQL & Aurora)
- Collaborate with Application Engineering teams to profile instance resource usage, optimize and tweak both query and schema
- Collaborate with the Architecture team on the use of alternative strategies for handling and storing data (S3/EMR/Athena etc.)
- Plan, coordinate and schedule upgrades, migrations and schema redesign efforts along with business stakeholders
- Own and maintain appropriate documentation (code & Confluence) around specification, runbooks, etc
- Participate as an equal partner in the Infrastructure team's on call rotation
- Your are joining a team. We have others with SME level MySQL experience. So, working on a team and to the benefit of that team and its stakeholders is your overarching mission
- You assist application engineers in writing and tuning SQL queries on MySQL 5.7 and later
- You have demonstrable experience tuning the MySQL server through an RDS parameter group
- You have experience and opinions about the use of MySQL features such as stored procedures, triggers and the event scheduler
- You have demonstrable experience making multiple schema changes on large tables in a busy environment
- You understand some of the limitations of MySQL and have experience with common workarounds when such limitations are reached
- You have set up, tuned and monitored MySQL replication
Cloud Engineering Qualifications:
- You have managed infrastructure with code (Terraform, Cloudformation, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- You have written a job or two to automate away toil and have a fun story to tell us
- You submit pull requests for small changes frequently
- You enjoy reviewing others' PR's as a means of improving your understanding of the operational environment
- You plan your work to avoid service interruptions whenever possible
- You have been working in a cloud engineering capacity for 5+ years
- 1+ years of your experience has been database focused, but not necessarily exclusive
- You have demonstrable experience planning, executing and delivering a project on your own and with one or more other team members
- You possess experience managing multiple production database instances via code. (Cloudformation, Terraform, etc.)
- You have a strong desire to grow your infrastructure as code skills
- You can share stories about the mistakes you've made throughout your career and what you have done to recover from them (and not repeat them)
- Ideally, you have worked in a fast growing start up
- Ideally, you have an AWS Database, AWS Solutions Architect, AWS SysOps or AWS Developer certification. Maybe even a MySQL database or developer certification.
If not, you are keen to take advantage of our support in earning some of these:
- Ideally, you have a strong familiarity with common Java DB libraries such as connection pools (e.g. Hikari, C3P0) and ORMs (e.g. Hibernate), or you will happily exchange your expertise with developers for a better understanding of these libraries and frameworks. (Note, you will not be asked to write Java code, but may find yourself reading it along with application engineers in order to tune a process.)
What We Offer
- Competitive Compensation
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible paid time off
We are changing the world of software security. Do it with us.
We believe in what we do and are passionate about helping our customers secure their business.
If you're looking for a challenge and want to enjoy where you work, you'll love Contrast Security.
Contrast Security is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Contrast Security is an equal opportunity employer and our team is comprised of individuals from many diverse backgrounds, lifestyles, and locations.
Company: Contrast Security
Job title: Senior Cloud Engineer - MySQL Focus at Contrast Security () (allows remote)
Job tags: mysql, aws, terraform, cloudformation