Senior Product Designer, Home & Feed
Remote job description
About This Role
Strava is the leading subscription platform at the center of connected fitness, with more than 100 million community members in over 190 countries. The platform offers a holistic view of your active lifestyle, no matter where you live, which sport you love, and/or what device you use. Everyone belongs on Strava when they are pursuing an active life.
Strava is looking for an experienced and passionate digital product designer who wants to help us with our mission of motivating the world to be more active. Come be a part of a team of designers who create beautiful and inspiring experiences that help athletes connect, train, and stay motivated.
Strava is a subscription-based, consumer-facing business, so this role requires empathy with Strava's community to fuel their long-term happiness as well as our long-term business impact. A Senior Product Designer here is involved in driving every aspect of the product design processes as part of a cross-functional team, from discovery and defining strategy to iteration and validating solutions to finalizing visual fit and finish.
The Home (Feed and Search) team at Strava is responsible for one of the highest-trafficked surfaces on the platform. In this role, you'll be responsible for identifying opportunities to improve how athletes discover and engage with their network, how they find something new and unexpected, and when to pivot them to other surfaces. You'll contribute to the success of home by creating experiences that are visually appealing, easy to interact with, and predictable in terms of content mix.
For more information on compensation and benefits, please click here.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will:
- Understand user needs and business needs and work with your team in determining opportunities as well as hypotheses for solutions.
- Design optimizations, flows, and interfaces that are effective, usable, simple, and desirable for our millions of athletes around the world.
- Define the user experience and visual design of your solutions from conception through shipping and beyond.
- Use basic research techniques, competitive analysis, and data to advise strategic and tactical design decisions.
- Give and solicit feedback from other designers in order to continually strive to improve quality and craftsmanship.
- Produce detailed specs for your interaction models and UI and collaborate with engineers to communicate your thinking.
You will be successful here by:
- Embracing an inclusive, collaborative environment that elevates a diverse set of voices and experiences.
- Applying a systems thinking approach to problem-solving
- Clearly and simply articulating your design decisions and connecting your design decisions back to team goals and objectives
- Guiding the vision for the product and achieving it through design explorations, documentation, and presentations
- Participating in qualitative research and quantitative analysis
- Producing detailed specs for your interaction models and UI and collaborating with engineers
We're excited about you because:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in the design of digital (mobile and desktop) products that have been released to the market.
- You have an up-to-date portfolio of your design work with descriptions of your process, your role, other people involved, and your contribution.
- Proven experience delivering software applications/features from inception to shipping within a cross-functional team environment.
- Excellent visual design and communication skills; this isn't a purely 'UX' role.
- Experience with iterative, multivariate (A/B) testing in your design process
- Experience proving design impact via evidence (qualitative and quantitative measures)
- Experience incorporating user research and data into your work
- Experience validating ideas with prototypes and user feedback
- Experience designing for diverse groups of people (international audiences, multi-language localization, accessibility for differently-abled people, etc)
- Experience working with machine learning-based recommendation systems
Strava is Swedish for "strive," which epitomizes who we are and what we do. We're a passionate and committed team, unified by our mission to connect athletes to what motivates them and help them find their personal best. With billions of activity uploads from all over the world, we have a humbling and adventurous vision: to be the record of the world's athletic activities and the technology that makes every effort count.
Strava builds software that makes the best part of our athletes' days even better. Just as we're deeply committed to unlocking their potential, we're dedicated to providing a world-class, inclusive workplace where our employees can grow and thrive, too. We're backed by Sequoia Capital, Madrone Partners and Jackson Square Ventures, and we're expanding in order to exceed the needs of our growing community of global athletes. Our culture reflects our community. We are continuously striving to hire and engage diverse teammates from all backgrounds, experiences and perspectives because we know we are a stronger team together.
In light of the global pandemic, Strava is currently working in a fully remote capacity. As always, we remain committed to fully supporting our employees, especially their mental health and wellbeing, through these challenging times. Despite challenges in the world around us, we are continuing to grow camaraderie and positivity within our culture, and we are unified in our commitment to becoming an antiracist company. We are differentiated by our truly people-first approach, our compassionate leadership, and our belief that we can bring joy and inspiration to athletes' lives - now more than ever. All to say, it's a great time to join Strava!
Strava is an equal opportunity employer. In keeping with the values of Strava, we make all employment decisions including hiring, evaluation, termination, promotional and training opportunities, without regard to race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, physical handicap, mental disability, medical condition, disability, gender or identity or expression, pregnancy or pregnancy-related condition, marital status, height and/or weight.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Company name: Strava
Remote job title: Senior Product Designer, Home & Feed
Job tags: Qualitative Research, accessibility, Visual Design