Growth Design Manager
Remote job description
Communication has changed for people. It's changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle-across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 25,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity?
We're looking for an experienced Design Manager in Dublin and in London to grow our people and products. Design Managers at Intercom directly support product Designers in delivering the best work they can while also working on high-level strategic design projects themselves. The opportunity to have impact at both of these levels is massive: you'd be joining a small Design Leadership Team, so you'll have very real ownership and potential to define the role and make your mark. At the same time, we're not just starting out-there's a stable and mature environment and an existing base on which you can build. All together, you'll have the opportunity to do the best work of your career.
We've had Designers in key leadership roles, including at the exec level, from the very beginning. This has made Design a core foundation of our company's DNA. This means that you'll never have to justify the importance of Design. We genuinely care about people and value kindness in our everyday interactions. You'll be able to be yourself, feel valued, supported, learn and grow no matter how experienced you are.
If you want to learn more about what it's like to work here, check out intercom.design, read what makes us different, and listen to a podcast with our co-founder, Des and CEO, Karen. If you're passionate about helping Product Designers to grow and learn while shipping high-quality product that solves real problems for customers, we'd love to hear from you! By the way, imposter syndrome is a real thing, don't let it stop you and please apply!
What will I be doing?
- Managing and supporting a team of passionate Growth Designers, working on four teams across the full customer lifecycle
- Coaching and providing feedback on your team's performance, helping them to develop clear career development goals and action plans on how to achieve them.
- Partner with core stakeholders in our Growth Group such as the Group Product Manager, Group Engineering Manager, Sales, Marketing and Customer Education, collectively ensuring that the group is strategically aligned, engaged, and delivering customer and business impact.
- Spearhead the creation of scalable Growth Design frameworks, strategically marrying design and business objectives.
- Reporting directly to our head of Product Design, and a member of our Design Leadership Group. Partnering directly with them to evolve the Growth Design team: our people, our structure, our processes, and our core beliefs.
- Collaborating with leaders across the company: other Growth leaders, Research, Data Analytics, Product Management and more.
- Growing Intercom Design by recruiting and, if you wish, representing us publicly in ways like writing for our blog, speaking, community building and outreach, and more.
What skills do I need?
- Experience managing a Growth Design team or working on growth-oriented projects.
- A passion for how the people who report to you perform, feel, and grow. The ability to develop a genuine relationship with people and help them succeed.
- Experience designing systems of growth across Onboarding, Engagement, Expansion and Retention. This isn't solely a people management role-you'll also be involved with and guide the product work, and influence group level strategy. All of our managers care deeply about and actively engage in our product development process, details, and outcomes.
- End-to-end expertise with Product Design and Growth Design. Our Growth designers identify as Product Designers that are especially analytical and business oriented systems thinkers. You don't need to be a specialist in all of these things, but you should be able to have informed, intelligent conversations.
- Ability to envision and lead change. There are many things that we still need to evolve and improve about how we work, and design managers are a key part in driving that change. We're looking for someone who aligns with our values, but also who brings fresh opinions and ideas about what makes us better.
- Passionate about building a world class Growth Design team.
We'd also love to see your portfolio of design work you've led or executed. It should touch on the problems you solved (ideally focused on designing software products) and the process you applied to tackling the challenges, rather than focusing just on visual polish, or the final deliverables.
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there's something important to you that's not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we're happy to get you whatever equipment helps
- You get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Company name: Intercom
Remote job title: Growth Design Manager
Job tags: saas / subscription, analytics, customer support, email