Senior Privacy Counsel
Remote job description
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we're building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you're ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There's no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work - whether it's from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop - while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
ABOUT THE JOB
As Senior Privacy Counsel, you'll play a leading role in the growth and international expansion of Instacart's global privacy program. You will work cross-functionally to support and advise teams across Instacart on cutting edge data privacy and compliance issues, including our product, advertising, marketing, policy, engineering and communications teams. You'll also partner closely with our information security team on programs to improve Instacart's security posture. You will report to the Associate General Counsel for Privacy.
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create a world where everyone has access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Join us!
What You'll Be Doing
- Oversee Instacart's compliance with applicable domestic and foreign privacy laws and regulations pertaining to privacy and data security, including CPRA and other US state laws, PIPEDA, GDPR, PIPL and HIPAA.
- Keep Instacart at the forefront of the evolving regulatory landscape by staying up to date on privacy regulatory and industry changes and developments in the privacy sector and be able to assess and articulate potential short and long terms impacts on Instacart.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to drive privacy compliance and awareness across instacart, including in product development, engineering, advertising, marketing, data science, HR, business development & sales,, risk & compliance, trust & safety and the global policy team.
- Serve as subject matter expert on privacy matters impacting Instacart's key initiatives, including personalization, advertising, Instacart Health, smart carts, and artificial intelligence.
- Lead and oversee the maturation of Instacart's privacy program operations, including completing privacy impact assessments, managing data subject requests, vendor management, developing, implementing, supplementing and/or maintaining systems and processes for data inventory/categorization/mapping.
- Respond to privacy or data security events
- Partner with legal team colleagues on commercial transactions and M&A activity;
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future.
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 8 years of related experience working at a leading law firm or in-house legal department, with a minimum of 3 years of hands on privacy experience (in-house experience, especially at a tech company, CPG or retailer, is a plus)
- A successful track record of overseeing multi-jurisdictional privacy programs, including implementation of CCPA, GDPR, LGPD and PIPEDA.
- Experience in AdTech
- Experience implementing GDPR a plus
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive to results, particularly with engineering, product and marketing teams
- Strong executive presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Familiarity and ease with technology
- A team player
What We'll Set You Up With
- Competitive salary and equity, based on experience
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage
- Take what you need vacation (and we really mean it)
- 16 weeks maternity leave / 8 weeks paternity leave so you can truly bond with your child
- A smorgasbord of food while you work, including lunch and dinner catered daily
- A fulfilling, challenging adventure of a work experience
- An incredible team of legal eagles, hackers and hustlers
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.
OR, DE, ME, MA, MD, NH, RI, VT, DC, PA, VA, CO, TX, IL, HI
All other states
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.
Company name: Instacart
Remote job title: Senior Privacy Counsel
Job tags: marketing, Legal Advice, Team Leadership
location or timezone
yearly salary range$193,000 - 257,000
posted30 days ago