Senior Director, Talent Management
Remote job description
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we've grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
As our Sr. Director/Director of PBPs & L&D, you will have the chance for huge impact, as you get to shape the culture and community of dbt Labs for our global team. This strategic yet operational leader will oversee People Operations, People Business Partners (PBPs) and L&D.
As a distributed company, we move incredibly fast and lean heavily on async work (reading and writing!). It is within this environment that you will be responsible for delivering on our mission to enable the growth and development of all our team members, specifically within leadership. You will build on our foundational operations and collaborate closely with both the business and our People Team CoE's to identify opportunities, design solutions and quickly yet effectively execute. You'll use data to guide your team's work, and you'll always be looking to improve our internal reporting systems. While owning many of our flagship people programs (performance evaluations, engagement surveys, L&D curriculum, etc), you'll also be responsible for developing and empowering your team in their individual and collective success.
At the end of the day, you'll achieve success by balancing the needs of both our people and the business, and bringing optimized thinking into day-to-day operations. You'll lead from a curious and first principles mentality to push the needle on our culture and how we operate. While the below is a small snapshot of the broad range of work scoped into this varied and challenging (in a fun way!) role; we are looking for someone who leverages differences of their team, brings their best, and pushes the pace of our work in a smooth and values-aligned manner.
- Significant hands on experience across HR disciplines, especially the PBP (People Business Partner) space; with a track record of taking on roles of increasing scope and responsibility
- Sustained experience in the technology sector and across various stages of growth; and within a global working environment (collaborating and leading remotely is a must)
- Excellent communication, influencing, coaching, partnering, and leadership skills; approachable, authentic and responsive
- Experience leading distributed teams with a track record of mentorship and people development
- Demonstrated ability to successfully collaborate with stakeholders at multiple levels in multiple functions both individually and within a team to provide the best solution for the business
- Proactive, independent and creative. Ability to question the status quo within the People Team and with managers, and work with them to build solutions to problems
- Change agent who thrives in a fast-paced environment and can effectively engage those around to get them excited about the future; while also leading through change thoughtfully and quickly
- Trust: Build trusted business partnerships at all levels and in all geographies of the organization
- Organizational design: Provide coaching and creative solutions to guide change and organizational design efforts while also proactively identifying organizational gaps and deploying strategies to fill
- Roadmap: Develop and own a strategic PBP, Ops and L&D roadmap that translates business priorities and our values into high-impact programming
- Scale: Streamline our people team operations from hello to goodbye, including incorporating automation, assessing our tech stack and building process that are high impact vs check the box exercises
- Data: Design, monitor, and measure People metrics to enable change and drive key insights that support growth and retention of talent across our company
- Leadership development: With our L&D team, design and own development programs, opportunities and investments for our people managers and ultimately building a more empowered, more capable leadership team
- Cross-functional collaboration: Work in close partnership with our team of very capable people experts (Comp & Benefits, DEI, Executive Support, Experience, and Talent Acquisition); as well as across other internal functions (e.g. Legal, Finance, and Data)
- Counsel: Provides counsel and guidance on complex employee relations situations
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary: Commensurate of experience
- Equity Stake
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
*Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations
What to expect in the hiring process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with our Talent Acquisition Manager
- Interview with our VP of People
- Team Interviews with various stakeholders
- Final interview with our CEO
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself??"?not just analytics tools??"?will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We're backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at email@example.com if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.Privacy Notice
Supplement to Privacy Notice - Californians
Supplement to Privacy Notice - EEA/UK
Company name: dbt Labs
Remote job title: Senior Director, Talent Management
Job tags: analytics, Global Teams, People Development