Senior Data Scientist, Analytics
Remote job description
Ethos was built to make it faster and easier to get term life insurance. Our approach blends industry expertise, technology, and the human touch to find you the right policy to protect your loved ones. Using predictive analytics, we are able to transform a traditionally 15-week process into a modern digital experience for our users.
Our investors include General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital, Accel Partners, Google Ventures, Jay-Z, Kevin Durant, and Robert Downey Jr. We are listed in Forbes' Top 50 Fintechs of 2020. And for exciting news about our growth check out Life-Insurance Startup Ethos Valued at More Than $2 Billion. We are scaling quickly and looking for passionate people to protect the next million families.
About the Role
We are looking for an ambitious self-starter with a strong quantitative background to dive into large datasets to provide insights and guide decision-making while mentoring other analysts and data scientists. This is an exciting opportunity to join a team in a huge growth area for Ethos. This role will put you in the middle of the action and require you to solve the most complex, interesting challenges of a rapidly-scaling startup. You will work cross-functionally across Marketing, Product, Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Risk to provide visibility and understanding into the performance of our business and empower business leaders to make key decisions with data and analytical rigor. You will collaborate with leaders, product managers, and engineers to build scalable and robust systems to grow and maintain the powerful data engine that is core to our data-driven approach at Ethos. You will solve such problems as predicting customer lifetime values, understanding and predicting churn, providing visibility into customer behavior and segments, and much more.
We have a strong team of analysts and data scientists. We provide insights that are highly sought after, and we have tremendous impact on the business. If you have a proven background in data science and if you enjoy working in an environment that is fast-paced, mission-driven, and impact-oriented, read on and please apply!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and own statistical models to large datasets to identify causal impacts and to predict future outcomes
- Improve the speed and efficiency of our growth by collaborating with Marketing, Product, Operations, Sales, Partnerships, and Risk teams
- Act as a strategic thought partner and be the go-to data expert in developing analyses, models, and reports
- Communicate findings and insights to key stakeholders and leadership team members to take action based on your insights and recommendations
- Collaborate with data engineers to maintain consistent business logic throughout the organization
- Train and mentor the next generation of business analysts and data scientists at Ethos
Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree in a quantitative field: analytics, statistics, economics, computer science, or applied math
- 5+ years of experience in data analytics and data science
- Proficiency building predictive models including GLMs, ensemble methods, time series analysis, etc.
- Expertise in SQL
- Expertise in Python or R, including data science and visualization libraries
- Proficient in data visualization tools like Chartio, Looker, or Tableau
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to collaborate with cross-functional partners
- You are stimulated by solving complex problems
- You enjoy being a player-coach - you can balance being an individual contributor early days with leading a team
- You enjoy getting in the weeds but do not lose sight of the bigger picture
- You can punch above your weight when needed but also appreciate that no job is too small, no matter your title!
Everyone is welcome at Ethos. We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity and inclusion and look for applicants who understand, embrace and thrive in a multicultural world. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the SF Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider employment for qualified applicants with arrests and conviction records.
Company name: Ethos Life
Remote job title: Senior Data Scientist, Analytics
Job tags: statistics, Python, analytics