Lead Data Scientist, Sales and Product Ops
Remote job description
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn't come with a manual. That's why we're building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes - knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry - we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We're seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we'll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 75 million+ projects started on Thumbtack
- About 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- About 10 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Operations Data Science Team
Thumbtack's Ops Data Science team is a tight-knit group charged with providing actionable insights for Thumbtack's Trust and Safety, Support Operations, Sales, Partnerships/Business Development, Business Operations and Product Operations teams. We collaborate with various groups across the company on a wide variety of projects; everything from click-level data from our online HelpCenter, to call-level data from our outbound sales teams, to search- and conversation-level data between pros and customers from our product database. The Ops Data Science team is part of a global team of more than 40 data scientists across the United States and Canada.
About the Role
As a Lead Data Scientist, you'll partner with product and operations leaders in shaping the strategy for the Sales Operations and Product Operations teams. In this role you will have the opportunity to work on either side of our two sided marketplace. The Sales Operations team leads the charge in increasing the supply of service professionals on our platform. You'll be a proactive contributor driving impact to the measurement of sales led supply acquisition efforts, testing new sales strategies, and diving into how best to quantify the quality and lifetime value of acquired supply. The Product Operations team acts as a bridge between our users and product teams which seeks to develop a deep understanding of product functionality, operational workflows, and user sentiment to advocate for superior user experiences that simultaneously achieve our business goals. As a data scientist supporting Product Operations, you will be deeply involved in building our user feedback and sentiment data infrastructure and applying data science techniques to analyze these data and generate actionable insights, such as natural language processing, large language models, regression analysis, clustering algorithms, etc..
Data Scientists also collaborate with partners in Internal Tools, Data Engineering, Marketing and Product teams on broader efforts where product and operations overlap. You will be expected to quickly build technical and content expertise about our platform. You will be involved in scoping, prioritization and execution of tasks related to new company initiatives and programs while also gathering, organizing and presenting insights, trends and predictions to partners and stakeholders.
The Data Science team is a centralized function with individual members embedded in specific business lanes. Data Scientists are expected to have a strong technical background, ask the right questions, and are comfortable rolling up their sleeves to find the answers. The role is highly collaborative and requires a deep understanding of the vision and objectives of Sales and Product Operations teams. Partnering proactively with leadership, Data Scientists refine strategy, identify opportunities to drive progress on strategic company initiatives, and prioritize effectively.
- Partner with leaders of Thumbtack's Sales Operations and Product Operations teams to conduct in-depth quantitative analyses that guide strategic decisions
- Make recommendations based on detailed analysis and a deep understanding of our business
- Build and maintain reports, models, metrics, and visualizations which provide insight into users' experiences and business performance
- Work with Ops and Finance teams to measure impact of Sales and Product Operations initiatives
- Maintain SQL queries and dashboards that underpin analysis and reporting infrastructure
- Identify key drivers of core business outcomes through regression analyses and other statistical techniques
- Contribute to our team and company data culture through peer collaboration, training, coaching and more
What you'll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- BA/BS degree, preferably in Economics, Statistics, Math, or Computer Science
- Passion for using data to drive business impact in an operational environment, including running A/B experiments and applying causal analysis techniques to business process data
- Experience analyzing user experience data (both product and survey data), preferably in a technology or marketplace company
- Strong written and verbal communication skills: this role will require writing content and explaining results to internal and external audiences
- Strong experience using SQL to query large datasets, proficiency with data visualization software (e.g., Tableau, Looker), and familiarity with statistics/programming languages (e.g., R, Python)
- Ability to detect and debug data anomalies in complex operational processes and a track record of working with business leaders to drive improvements and efficiencies
- Demonstrated ability to self-motivate and drive projects independently as well as partner successfully with cross-functional teams
Bonus points if you have
- Master's degree in Applied Economics, Statistics, Data Science or related fields
- Familiarity with data science and processes of operational business lanes such as Business Development, Sales, or Business Operations
- Working knowledge of Looker and LookML. You know how to use it effectively and have deep enough knowledge to grow the team by training others.
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working model here.
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $180,000- $220,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.For candidates living in all other US locations, the expected salary range for this role is currently $150,000 - $185,000 . Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
#LI-RemoteBenefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services (North America)
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Company name: Thumbtack
Remote job title: Lead Data Scientist, Sales and Product Ops
Job tags: Valuation, Outbound Sales, business development