Digital Community Engagement Manager
Remote job description
dbt Labs was founded in 2016 to empower analysts to create and disseminate organizational knowledge. Since then, we've grown to become one of the leading brands in the analytics industry. Our product, dbt, is used by thousands of companies. dbt Labs is a remote-first, values-driven company with a globally distributed team. You can learn more about our values here.
In the past year, the dbt Community has more than doubled to 94,000+ people. Each of these people has a unique story and context, and our mission is to empower them to achieve their goals.
The Digital Community Engagement Manager role at dbt Labs is a dynamic role, primarily focused on developing and implementing our digital community strategy across Slack and Discourse and through a variety of engaging online programming. Some days we activate or host events other days we work with our education or campaigns team to build an campaign aimed at new membership. In this high-impact role, you can expect to develop the blueprints that we will use to shape the future of the dbt Community around the world, empowering thousands of analysts as you go.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Maintain and grow the dbt Community's status as a welcoming, friendly and helpful part of the data ecosystem.
- Engage with and build relationships with members of the dbt Community in online settings, answering questions and elevating helpful contributions from other community members.
- Use data industry knowledge to manage the global dbt Slack and Discourse communities. You will be responsible for maintaining and growing the Slack community by building out a digital engagement plan. Here you will develop a formalized process to bring internal and external stakeholders into the community, in the format of office hours, fireside chats, virtual job fairs, professional development sessions, and quarterly catch-ups with our executive and product teams.
- You will work with the web team to edit and create enticing copy to drive those on the website to join our community platforms. You will develop and write community and vendor guidelines in collaboration with our legal team.
- Research and stay up-to-date with industry news and dbt product updates
- You will periodically audit and review Slack and Discourse channels/threads and posts, you will make decisions on archiving those that no longer have consistent engagement and developing new, sought-after channels.
- You will work with community champions to create channel moderators and you will be responsible for the implementation and enforcement of our vendor and/or community guidelines.
- You will be responsible for reporting on our digital membership and engagement metrics across Slack and Discourse as well as noting trends that lead to increased or decreased engagement.
- Gather feedback from the dbt Community to help inform other cross-functional teams. This may be through the use of surveys, office hours, lean coffee sessions, or focus groups in collaboration with our Global Community Manager.
- Develop and maintain cross-functional relationships with internal teams and external partners. Connect the right people together at the right time. This will include working closely with our Developer Experience team and web team to ensure alignment and collaboration.
You are a good fit if you have:
- Worked asynchronously as part of a fully-remote, distributed team
- You have experience with data analytics and dbt (1+ year experience preferred)
- You have previous experience working in a digital marketing, engagement or community role
- You are excited by the idea of building new connections with people from diverse roles and backgrounds, and helping build connections between those folks!
- You are adept at communicating technically complicated topics simply and elegantly
- You approach problems with curiosity and a growth mindset
You'll have an edge if you have:
- Are an active member of the dbt community
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary: $140,000-180,000 USD for US based applicants. *Salary will differ for Canada based applicants.
- Equity Stake*
- Benefits - dbt Labs offers:
- Unlimited vacation (and yes we use it!)
- 401k w/3% guaranteed contribution
- Excellent healthcare
- Paid Parental Leave
- Wellness stipend
- Home office stipend, and more!
*For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal limitations.
dbt Labs is a remote-first company with a globally distributed team. This role is open to folks based in the US or Canada.
What to expect in the interview process (all video interviews unless accommodations are needed):
- Interview with Talent Acquisition Partner
- Interview with Hiring Manager
- Team Interviews with teammates/stakeholders
Who we are
At dbt Labs, we have developed strong opinions on how companies should practice analytics.
Specifically, we believe that:
- Code, not graphical user interfaces, is the best abstraction to express complex analytic logic
- Data analysts should adopt similar practices and tools to software developers
- Critical analytics infrastructure should be controlled by its users as open source software
- Analytic code itself - not just analytics tools - will increasingly be open source
It turns out that a lot of other people believe this too! Today, there are 20,000 companies using dbt every week, 65,000 practitioners in the dbt Community Slack, and 3,500 companies paying for dbt Cloud. Our customers include JetBlue, Hubspot, Vodafone New Zealand, and Dunelm. dbt is synonymous with the practice of analytics engineering, defining an entire industry. We're backed by top investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, and Altimeter. We recently raised our series D: read the announcement here!
dbt Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to building an inclusive team that welcomes a diversity of perspectives, people, and backgrounds regardless of race, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, citizenship, veteran status, or any other protected status. We feel strongly that whether or not your experience exactly fits the job description, your passion and skills will stand out and set you apart even if your career has taken some twists and turns. If you are on the fence about whether you meet our requirements, we encourage you to apply anyway! Please reach out to us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need assistance or an accommodation.
Want to learn more about our focus on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at dbt Labs? Check out our DEI page here.
dbt Labs reserves the right to amend or withdraw the posting at any time. For employees outside the United States, dbt Labs offers a competitive benefits package. Equity or comparable benefits may be offered depending on the legal or country limitations.Privacy Notice
Supplement to Privacy Notice - Californians
Supplement to Privacy Notice - EEA/UK
Company name: dbt Labs
Remote job title: Digital Community Engagement Manager
Job tags: Developer Experience, Community Management, recruiting