Staff Software Engineer iOS Foundations & Performance
Remote job description
Discord is looking for a highly technical, creative, and forward-thinking Staff Engineer to join our Foundations & Performance team and help lead our technical strategy for Discord's iOS platform. You will be a key stakeholder in the technical roadmap for product engineering and a resource for engineers, while also delivering core improvements to our frontend platform.
About the team: The Foundations & Performance team supports product engineers in building performant by establishing core code patterns for Discord's various client apps and takes on ground-breaking foundational work to unlock new capabilities across Discord client apps.
What you'll do
- Collaborate with leadership and senior engineers on the team to build and iterate on the technical roadmap for Discord's frontend apps.
- Research, design, and build key new parts of the platform. You will scrutinize and reason clearly on technology and architecture choices, identify tradeoffs and challenges, and get buy-in from the rest of the team.
- Drive and improve the technical direction of mobile, bolstering the technical foundational, improving performance, and re-architecting as needed.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other staff engineers and stakeholders across the organization to ensure technical alignment to other systems, products, and vision.
- Leverage your technical expertise and influence to constantly raise the bar and ensure your team delivers extraordinary results at the high technical level we set.
- Coach and mentor the next generation of technical leaders at Discord.
- Partner with Engineering leadership on strategic planning and continuously improve our systems and processes while upholding our workplace philosophy.
What you have
- 7+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- A strong understanding of and experience with building modern iOS clients with React Native
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work well cross-functionally.
- You actively seek out opportunities to mentor, coach, and sponsor other engineers in their career growth.
- A strong product sense, maintain a high degree of empathy for your internal and external users and seek feedback from them about your work.
- A strong sense of development ergonomics, and take pride in understanding your engineer customers.
- Comfort working with ambiguity and get excited about working collaboratively to better define complex problems, figure out solutions, and then execute on them.
- The ability how to strike a balance between speed and quality of features to create durable technology. You thrive on building scalable systems that are robust, failure-resistant, and easy to maintain.
- A practice of keeping up with industry trends and assessing new technologies that can help us better solve problems.
- Shipped products across multiple platforms (web, iOS, and Android).
- A history of open-source contributions to community libraries and tools.
- New York City residents only: Minimum salary of $214,000 year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law
- Colorado residents only: Minimum salary of $192,600 year + equity and benefits
- Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20).
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests - from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We're working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It's a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!
Company name: Discord
Remote job title: Staff Software Engineer iOS Foundations & Performance