Staff Software Engineer Enterprise
Kong creates software and managed services that connect APIs and microservices natively across and within clouds, Kubernetes, data centers and more using intelligent automation. Built on an open source core, Kong's service connectivity platform enables digital innovation by allowing organizations to reliably and securely manage the full lifecycle of APIs and services for modern architectures, including microservices, serverless and service mesh. By providing developer teams with unprecedented architectural freedom, Kong accelerates innovation cycles, increases productivity, and seamlessly bridges legacy and modern systems and applications. For more information about Kong, please visit konghq.com or follow @thekonginc on Twitter.
Follow us on LinkedIn for more "Life at Kong" nuggets! 2020 Kong Summit Highlight Video
About the role:
You will be responsible for delivering high visibility and impact features in Kong Enterprise. Working closely with Engineering, Product Management, Sales and Customer Success you will add features, plugins and custom fixes that will materially impact customer's and Kong's business. You will also help to maintain a streamlined build and test CI/CD system. You will help coordinate the incorporation into Kong Enterprise of upstream features from the Kong open source distribution.
What you'll be doing:
- Work on large impact, high visibility features that drive business
- Maintain and extend Kong Enterprise to support application features
- Write automated tests to ensure behavior of code and avoid regressions
- Maintain the CI/CD systems needed to deliver a high quality product
- Provides design specific feedback on product/technology vision and strategy, and helps senior management to inform and incorporate into technical architecture roadmap.
- Proactively analyzes recurring design defects and establishes design practices for early detection and avoidance across all features of the product team.
- Put teamwide best practices in place for architecture, design, and development before implementation starts.
- Mentoring and pairing with other team members
- And any additional tasks required by manager
What you'll bring:
- 8+ years working in a team to develop, package and deliver applications
- Experience designing, prototyping, building and debugging server platforms and applications that are highly scalable, reliable, and resilient
- Experience writing and consuming RESTful APIs
- Experience with data modeling in relational and no-SQL databases
- Experience with scripting languages such as Perl, Ruby, Shell -- bonus points for Lua
- Comfortable with git and Github workflow
- Experience with test-driven development and automated testing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills -- engineers at Kong write the documentation for their products
- Experience developing and supporting a large scale SaaS platform
- Hands on experience with Nginx/OpenResty/Lua
- Hands on experience with TypeScript
- Hands on experience with Travis/Jenkins CI/CD
- What is a Konger? (see our company values below…)
We are a group of makers, thinkers, and doers focused on helping today's developers build tomorrow's technology. Our teams work on the bleeding edge of API innovation to provide our users with a central nervous system for data and services.
We put design at the heart of everything we do, and we're relentlessly focused on creating beautiful experiences for our customers. That's why technology companies, major banks, e-commerce innovators, and government agencies put Kong in front of their most important web applications.
We believe in the power of Open Source and everything it stands for. That's why developers around the world enthusiastically contribute on top of our open-source platform.
We are passionate about solving challenges that will fundamentally shape the future of technology, and we're looking for the right people to join us on our mission. If you believe in taking ownership of your work, making an impact, and having fun along the way, we would love to talk to you.
Kong Core Values:
Global - We work together from anywhere to achieve our common goals. Our differences make us stronger. We seek to understand different points of view and their implications on work.
Real - We are genuine, principled and confident without an attitude. We seek to understand our own strengths and vulnerabilities. We understand the effect of external factors on ourselves and we manage our own emotions and understand the effect they have on other people.
Unstoppable - We are biased towards action and decision, we persevere and always go the extra mile. We understand how to prioritize and work with urgency and focus. We are self-motivated and exhibit a high personal drive.
Champion - We listen and speak up for customers, community, partners and each other. We have an ability to provide feedback that is specific, constructive and fact-based. We listen, are able to receive feedback without taking it personally and we look at our own performance in order to improve.
Explorer - We challenge the status quo by discovering, innovating, failing fast and learning. We are self-directing and use creativity when solving problems that may be complex and ambiguous. We are adaptable, able to navigate and solve problems, especially in times of rapid change and high-ambiguity.
Staff Software Engineer - Enterprise
Tags: api, dev ops / tech ops, infrastructure, open-source, saas, software