Staff Software Engineer
Remote job description
Join a leading fintech company that's democratizing finance for all.
Robinhood was founded on a simple idea: that our financial markets should be accessible to all. With customers at the heart of our decisions, Robinhood is lowering barriers and providing greater access to financial information. Together, we are building products and services that help create a financial system everyone can participate in.
Just as we focus on our customers, we also strive to create an inclusive environment where our employees can thrive and do impactful work. We are proud of the competitive products and company culture we've built and have been recognized as:
- Forbes Fintech 50 2021
- Glassdoor Best Places to Work 2021
- Inc. Best-Led Companies 2021
- TIME 100 Most Influential Company 2021
- We're growing and looking for...
- We continue to hire Robinhoodies at a rapid pace to drive this journey, and with that growth comes necessary change. We're seeking culture builders and curious thinkers looking to co-author the next chapters of our story. We're in build mode, majorly expanding our team while also growing up as a company. Joining now means helping shape our structures and systems, then taking part as we launch into our ambitious future.
- Check out life at Robinhood on The Muse!
About the team:
As a Staff Software Engineer on our Product Engineering team, you will be leading, building and owning backend services and infrastructure that power our core financial products. You will also gain a unique look into how the US financial systems works on the inside and strengthen your financial-domain knowledge. We strive for a high standard of engineering quality while solving unique scalability challenges. You will have high impact roles at a relatively small company for our user base.
We have 5 pillars within Product Engineering: App Foundations, Brokerage, Clearing, Core Product and Payments. Our mission is to continue raising the quality bar for Robinhood's apps and set the bar for the entire financial industry. We focus on the core brokerage activities that support how our customers participate in the markets as well as own the end to end customer journey through Robinhood. Lastly, we continue to work toward expanding our products to help us serve customers at different stages of their financial journey.
What you'll do day-to-day:
- Design large scale systems within a team, making the right tradeoffs for risk and long-term maintainability.
- Lead, build, test, and release product-facing features with stringent correctness and scalability requirements; these features could be related to market data, trading, accounting, authentication, or security.
- Proactively identify and drive optimizations and improvements to the product and fine tune our REST API to support millions of customers.
- Active contribution to open source projects.
- 8+ years of software engineering experience.
- Proficient with relational databases and transactions, and familiarity with writing highly concurrent systems.
- Demonstrated history of providing firm-wide impact with self-sufficiency, as well as planning and leading large projects with long-term impact.
- Ability to solve complex engineering problems that deliver results which help the team to achieve its objective with excellent task prioritizations.
- Intimate familiarity of Python/Django or Go.
- Experience writing low latency, large scale distributed systems.
Technologies we use:
- Python/Django, Go as the main languages and frameworks of choice.
- PostgreSQL as our primary data store, Redis and Memcached as our caching layer.
- Kafka and Celery as our task queue.
- Deployed using Kubernetes in AWS Cloud.
We're looking for more growth-minded and collaborative people to be a part of our journey in democratizing finance for all. If you're ready to give 100% in helping us achieve our mission-we'd love to have you apply even if you feel unsure about whether you meet every single requirement in this posting. At Robinhood, we're looking for people invigorated by our mission, values, and drive to change the world, not just those who simply check off all the boxes.
Robinhood's benefits include generous time off, 401(k) participation with employer match, comprehensive health coverage, a health savings account (HSA), wellness benefits, backup childcare and education stipends (all benefits are subject to applicable taxes and based on eligibility).
Robinhood is a primarily remote company. If hired, you will work as a remote employee unless the job you are applying for has a different working model specified. Please reach-out to your recruiter if you have any questions regarding the job's working model.Summary
Company name: Robinhood
Remote job title: Staff Software Engineer I6
Job tags: transaction fees, analytics, mobile