Staff Software Engineer
Western Governors University
Remote job description
If you're passionate about building a better future for individuals, communities, and our country?and you're committed to working hard to play your part in building that future?consider WGU as the next step in your career.
Driven by a mission to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, WGU is also committed to being a great place to work for a diverse workforce of student-focused professionals. The university has pioneered a new way to learn in the 21st century, one that has received praise from academic, industry, government, and media leaders. Whatever your role, working for WGU gives you a part to play in helping students graduate, creating a better tomorrow for themselves and their families.
*Current employees must apply by 07/27/2021*
Responsible for the research, design, development, analysis, testing, and implementation of software operating or application systems. Communicates project information to client, project manager, or other design personnel working on projects. Maintains good working relationships with clients and staff. Writes and maintains complete documentation. Supports team members and ensures established goals and deadlines are met. Keeps management informed of status and significant problems.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Architecting in AWS/Cloud technologies.
- Manage multiple tasks and responsibilities in high-pressure environments; excelling at pinpointing and resolving problems in early project stages to avoid cost/time expenses.
- Increase application/system responsiveness and monitor application/system performance by anticipating and correcting application-based issues before their occurrence.
- Deliver high quality projects on time, through ability to design architecture, write high quality code, and execute effective unit tests.
- Optimize performance tuning for high utilization 24x7 access.
- Integrate third party products with existing infrastructure.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile projects.
- Work with internal customers to gather business processes and project requirements.
- Researches, designs, and develops computer software systems, in conjunction with hardware product development applying principles and techniques of computer science, engineering, and mathematical analysis.
- Analyzes software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
- Consults with hardware engineers and other engineering staff to evaluate interface between hardware and software, and operational and performance requirements of overall system.
- Formulates and designs software system, using scientific analysis and mathematical models to predict and measure outcome and consequences of design.
- Develops and directs software system testing procedures, programming, and documentation.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Performs miscellaneous projects as assigned.
Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Good understanding of issue troubleshooting and performance tuning
- Commitment to quality through the ability to translate complex technical requirements into functional software using best practices to write high quality code
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Working equally well in self-managed and team-based Agile projects, and the ability to provide technical guidance and leadership to other team members
- Minimum three years of development experience in cloud-based environments plus an additional five years of development experience and a Bachelors' degree in Computer Science or related degree, or corresponding additional IT related experience.
- A current Professional level AWS certification
- Career level position within field, considered subject matter expert within discipline.
- Automate software deployment processes by releasing incremental updates and develop automation tools.
- Create more stable operating environments by continuously improving the CI/CD to be easily deployable and scalable.
- Conducts complex work important to the organization.
- Expected to mentor multiple less experienced engineers.
- Functions as a mentor and a subject matter expert throughout Ed Tech.
- Highly advanced knowledge of agile methodology, development processes, and programming languages.
- Advanced leadership in root cause analysis methodologies, remediation, and prevention.
- Works with little supervision and is given latitude for independent judgment.
- Is responsible for extending the University's intellectual property.
Minimum Professional experience:
- 4 yrs. experience - Python (Flask, Boto3)
- 4 yrs. experience - Java (Spring, APEX)
- 4 yrs. experience - SQL (Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL, PostgreSQL)
- 4 yrs. experience - NoSQL (DynamoDB, MongoDB)
- 4 yrs. experience - Postman, Selenium, jMeter, qTest, UnitTest
Container Based Development
- 4 yrs. experience - Docker, ECS/ECR/Fargate, Kubernetes
- Cloud Development
- 4 yrs. experience - S3, API Gateway, Lambda, Kinesis, RDS, EC2
- AWS Cert. - minimum 2 Associate & 1 Professional level
Experience being a mentor/leader in a collaborative, team based environment
Other technologies and skills preferred:
- AWS - S3, API Gateway, Lambda, Kinesis, RDS, EC2
- SQL - Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL, PostgreSQL
- IDE - PyCharm, VSCode, IntelliJ
- Repositories - Git (Github, Bitbucket)
- Test Automation - Postman, Selenium, jMeter, qTest, Unit Test
- CI/CD Pipelines - CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, CloudFormation
- Containers - Docker, ECS/ECR/Fargate, Kubernetes
- Agile/Scrum project development Tools - Jira, Confluence, ServiceNow
- Technical Certification - AWS, Solutions Architect, System Operations Certifications
As an equal opportunity employer, WGU recognizes that our strength lies in our people. We are committed to diversity.
Company name: Western Governors University
Remote job title: Staff Software Engineer at Western Governors University () (allows remote)