Staff Engineer Fullremote
Remote job description
Swile (swile.co) is a French start-up created in 2017 by French serial entrepreneur Loïc Soubeyrand : Swile offers digital solutions for employee rewards and benefits (meal/food vouchers and corporate gifts) through a card and an app that also helps foster engagement. We disrupted the traditional and outdated French paper meal voucher market and were able to gain significant traction. After mastering meal vouchers, Swile is now tackling new rewards and benefits (meal vouchers, corporate gifts, transportation and commuter benefits, vacation allowances and more) that will be stored and managed via a single account, card and app.
Our ambition is to enable employers to also improve their employees' engagement and experience by recognising key moments and milestones of their lives at work. As such, celebrations (birthdays and work anniversaries), money pots, team events, P2P payments among coworkers are brought together in a single app.
As of today, we have raised €11 million (Series A) in 2018, €30 million (Series B) in 2019 and more recently, we completed a third round of fundraising (series C) of €70 million, spearheaded by Index Ventures. After an in-depth study of the growth potential for Swile across global markets, the company is poised to expand into the Brazilian market this year as Brazil is the world's largest employee benefits market and more generally the perfect place to develop our new HR features namely our "Engagement" offer.
At Swile, the Innovation department (85 tech) is divided into 14 feature teams spread over our 4 Tribes :
- Corporate (our clients; B2B companies)
- Employees (our users; employees who use our app and the Swile card)
- Affiliates (our affiliate partners; restaurants / GMS brands / marketplace / e-commerce site, etc.)
- Core (our cross-functional teams; security, finance, payment, engineering efficiency, platform, etc.)
Our technology is mainly made up of web developers experienced in Ruby / Ruby-on-Rails (40%) and JS Node & React (60%) technologies and frameworks, fullswift iOS mobile side and fullKotlin Android.
The Swile platform is made up of several web applications and micro-services, each of which has its own database and API. Our infrastructure is hosted on AWS and described in Terraform. We are starting a migration of all our servers to Kubernetes ⚙️ Joining Swile means working on a service with very high potential, which is deployed internationally (LATAM), and which involves real technical challenges; scalability, user traffic, B2B2C, payment…
We are looking for our first Staff Engineer in Fullremote !
Your team: Attached to the Tribe CORE, at the beginning you will be part of our Engineering Efficiency Team, then you will be the first tech lead of our future Staff Engineering team ! That means your squad will have the responsibility to grow the entire engineering department's technical and social skills.
Your role: You will be involved at first hand in improving the Developer Experience throughout our entire Innovation department (onboarding, cross-team communication, production operations, applying best tech practices, developing new features, improving its quality, mentoring Tech Swilers to work more efficiently over time…)
Your mission :
- Review framing done by developers to detect scaling or security risks
- Assist developers on complex PR and carry out of technical problems
- Doing "random" code review, push good code quality and security practices and experiment new technical solutions to improve the quality of the platform
- Organize meetings and guilds to level up our developer skills, also promote and industrialize software quality processes
- Collaborate with managers to check or edit roadmaps
- Share knowledges and experiences with other tech members
- Come up with concrete ideas and plans to improve Developer Experience
- 10+ years of experience in software engineering as an individual contributor and +3 years on technical leadership, coaching and mentoring of engineers
- A significant background with cloud computing, microservice architecture, API, message queues (Kafka, RabbitMQ, …), virtualization/containerization; Docker, Kubernetes
- A love for technical challenges and problem-solving and tracking record of delivering successful high-scale applications
- An open-mindset and to be curious, self-organized, like sharing best practices to educate within and outside of the company (guild, talks, meetup…)
- Ability to understand business needs and interact with no-technical stakeholders.
- Capacity of adaptation to respond to the needs of a fast-changing environment.
- Our culture tech will match with your ambitions if you like…
- Rigor and evolve in a context guided by good practices (clean code, testing, SOLID principles, design patterns, …)
- Work in a team, even remotely!
- The concept of learning and sharing (guild, devops, mentoring, meet-up, conf …)
- The challenges linked to the issues of scalability and microservices
- Have ownership over your projects (no PO / PM at Swile!)
- The idea of building a fully real-time platform for hundreds of thousands users
- Have lots of different contacts: support team, finance, marketing, sales …
- We are Team-Players : we succeed as a team! Learning, growing and taking off all together is what is driving us on a daily basis
- We are Doers : being creative, curious, and wanting to build things with a test and learn mindset, this is who we are!
- We move Fast : the ability to be organized and adaptable enough to innovate and keep our technological advance in the market!
- We Stay Hungry : our ambition has no limit, and this requires humility, questioning, and the will to always set higher objectives!
- We are Ambassadors : as we are the first users of our product and daily users, speaking about Swile is always a pleasure! We love our product!
- We cherish our Values : very committed, Swilers are all very endeavored to maintain our culture
These values are very tangible, from Montpellier to São Paulo, from Monday to Sunday, we are living a one in a lifetime entrepreneurial experience that brings us together around a product that we use everyday, creating an amazing feedback culture!
- Video screen: 20-30 minutes (Tech Recruiter x candidate)
- Hiring manager interview: 1 hour with Cyril Champier (evaluation of soft/hard skills, teamfit, background, team/job informations) & Tech Recruiter
- Tech case: 1h30 Peer programming test + 1h Architecture with 2 developers
- Swil'interview: 45 minutes / During this stage all our Swilers can be called upon and contribute to the assessment of the skills of our candidates (focus on culture and values). The interviewers will be able to meet the candidates without cognitive bias and have constructive feedback on their interpersonal skills and know-how. Involving all of our employees in the success of our recruitments is an integral part of our culture and our values
- Final Round: 45 minutes / CTO or Tribe Director Interview
Staff Engineer - Fullremote