Software Engineering Manager
Communication has changed for people. It's changed for businesses, too.
Intercom is the only suite of customer messaging products that drives growth at every stage of the customer lifecycle—across acquisition, engagement, and support. Today more than 30,000 businesses use Intercom to connect with a billion people worldwide.
Join the company helping businesses grow revenue through live chat, and so much more.
What's the opportunity?
We are looking for an Engineering Manager in our Platform group that plays a critical role in Intercom strategy. As we move towards larger customers, we continue investing in interoperability and adaptability of Intercom with a diverse set of products and tech stacks. We invest in APIs, integrations, flexible and powerful frameworks and more. At the same time, Platform Group evolves and scales our customers' data layer and reporting, being responsible for critical high-scale distributed systems in Intercom.
You will manage a team of engineers and be responsible for delivering sustainable results while creating an engaging and inclusive engineering culture. You will closely partner with your Product Manager on the strategy and direction of your team. You will deeply understand your customers in all shapes and sizes, especially those with unique needs like external developers, business leaders and IT teams.
This role is based in Dublin but in line with our COVID guidelines, candidates can work from home anywhere in Ireland and will not be required in the Dublin office through to June 2021. Intercom will support new candidates with an initial work-from-home stipend and an ongoing monthly stipend.
What will I be doing?
- Leading a team of engineers working on high-scale distributed systems and storage for our public APIs and CRM solutions.
- Consistently shipping new capabilities in a reliable, safe and fast manner, in line with our culture.
- Partnering with engineering, product, and design leaders to shape team direction and strategy.
- Enabling your team to achieve high levels of productivity, performance and reliability.
- Teaching, mentoring, coaching and being a role model for engineers and other engineering managers.
- Creating a collaborative, inclusive and supportive team culture focused on fast, focused, high impact execution.
What skills do I need?
- You are a people manager first and foremost, with a strong track record of growing engineers in their personal growth and career progression.
- You have experience working in similar Platform spaces, leading teams that deliver broad capabilities for similar customers (external developers, business leaders, IT teams)
- You worked with or built highly scalable systems in a safe and reliable manner.
- You have a growth mindset and eagerness to learn.
Working at Intercom
Our culture is open, friendly, and inclusive - and this is something we are proud of. We like to experiment, sometimes inventing things for the first time, but we stay pragmatic, starting small and simple in everything we do. We want to help people grow and do the best work of their career and we want everybody to work with co-workers who value kindness, optimism, and positivity.
We love people who genuinely want to learn and grow, and we take bets on high potential people on rapid trajectories. We're opinionated by default, for example we run less software and ship continuously. We're technically conservative and like to keep it simple, but where it means building better products we'll double down on new technology like machine learning in a pragmatic way.
Help us build a world-changing product, a long-lasting company and the most effective R&D team possible. We want to build an organisation where people thrive, feel included, grow in their careers, and enjoy having high impact through their work and we need experienced engineering managers to help us grow.
How will I be supported?
- You'll report directly to the Director of Engineering, who'll start you off with a great onboarding plan
- You'll learn from and work with other Engineering Managers
- We invest in individual career development through training and coaching, dedicated to senior management.
- We are a well treated bunch, with awesome benefits! If there's something important to you that's not on this list, talk to us! :)
- Competitive salary and equity in a fast-growing start-up
- We serve lunch every weekday, plus a variety of snack foods and a fully stocked kitchen
- Regular compensation reviews - we reward great work
- Peace of mind with life assurance, as well as comprehensive health and dental insurance for you and your dependents
- Open vacation policy and flexible holidays so you can take time off when you need it
- Paid maternity leave, as well as 6 weeks paternity leave for fathers, to let you spend valuable time with your loved ones
- MacBooks are our standard, but we're happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
We are a diverse bunch of people and we want to continue to attract and retain a diverse range of people into our organisation. We're committed to an inclusive and diverse Intercom! We do not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, civil or family status, age, disability, or race.
Software Engineering Manager (Platform)
Tags: analytics, customer support, email, saas / subscription